Messiaen sightreading piece

Requests for works who died less than 50 years ago and were first published more than 95 years ago.

Moderators: Carolus, Sallen112, cypressdome, Copyright Reviewers

Wilh3lm
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Messiaen sightreading piece

Post by Wilh3lm »

A piece written by Messiaen in 1934, under the titles "Déchiffrage 1" and "MORCEAU DE LECTURE A VUE pour les Examens de piano de l'École Normale de Musique"
This piece was published with no copyright notice and has not had one since, apparently. If someone can confirm this then this is BIG!!!
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Messiaen sightreading piece

Post by Sallen112 »

Nothing of him is in the public domain anywhere, sorry.
Wilh3lm
regular poster

Post by Wilh3lm »

As the guy who uploaded one of his pieces that is PD in the US (published 1926) - see https://imslpforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10171, I can confidently say you're wrong. There's also another piece (that has been on PML-US since 2014) which was not renewed and is therefore PD-US. Finally, if there really is no copyright notice for this piece (and not just we have failed to find it) then it should also be PD-US.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Sorry I went off the title you posted seeing Messiaen and assumed right away the assumption of everything of him is under copyright. Upload it to the site and we'll take a look at it.
Wilh3lm
regular poster

Post by Wilh3lm »

I also have been unable to find a copyright notice anywhere for a short organ manuscript of a "Theme d'amour" from "Tristan et Yseult". It has been hitherto unpublished and the editors (self-publishing) of the first edition (whom I have spoken to) have stated that their edition is CC BY-SA. (https://imgur.com/a/4zvKWvb - join the Discord and scroll up if you need to see more)
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

Sorry unpublished works are Life + 70, since Messiaen died in 1992, he is under copyright everywhere. We can only accept works that were first published with a Copyright Stamp on the page but never got renewed 28 years after first publication.