Carl Nielson Clarinet Concerto.

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

slavko
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Carl Nielson Clarinet Concerto.

Post by slavko »

HI, is it possible to upload the Nielson Clarinet Concerto score, or is it still under copyright.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I don't believe so. Nielsen died in 1931 and the concerto was composed in 1928 (or published, I'm not sure), so the "before 1923" rule wouldn't be in effect (Neilsen died seventy-seven years ago, etc.).
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

Free in Canada and the EU but copyright in the US. So in the chance it is uploaded, once reviewed it will immediately be blocked.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Why would it be copyright in the U.S.?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Normally, because it was published after 1923, but in this case, Hansen must not have filed an extension and so the orchestral score was subsequently reproduced by Kalmus, so it's a good bet it's public domain in the US. The piano reduction looks like it was first published in 1948, so that'll be protected in the US.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Yeah, but Nielsen's been dead for seventy-seven years. Would that matter?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

In Canada, no. In the US, irrelevant.
Kalli
forum adept

Post by Kalli »

I've got a copy, but my version is under copyright, 'cause it's published in 2006 by a new publisher or is the first publishing date the important date?
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Kalli,

is it clearly new typesetting in your 2006 score, or is there an editorial foreword explaining any large musicological changes to an older score?

If not, and the score appears to be an old typeset with no sign of any revisions or changes since it was engraved, then the 2006 copyright would be what we term a "scarecrow" - a copyright notice designed to scare people off.

Some publishers delight in putting unenforceable copyright notices on scores - and in the US before 1964 if I recall correctly, an incorrectly registered copyright was sufficient for the work to lose all rights to protection under the law.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Kalli
forum adept

Post by Kalli »

No, it's a very small publisher, who published the score for the first time in 2006. The typeset is new (I think, it was made by "Sibelius"). I'm not sure, if the publisher is the new general publisher or if it is a licensed edition.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Oh well, in that case it can't be copied or uploaded. New typesets qualify for a limited term of protection under some laws even if they are a verbatim copy of an earlier publication.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)