notabot2: Human

List of 9 works by Zelenka

Post by steltz »

Missa Eucharista, ZWV 15
Missa Sanctissimae Trinitatis, ZWV 17
Requiem, ZWV 46 (D Major, I think?)
Invitatorium Lectiones et Responsoria, ZWV 47
Requiem in d, ZWV 48
Lamentationes Jeremiae, ZWV 53, but especially no.6 from his -- Lamentations pro hebdomada sancta
Immisit Dominus pestilentiam, ZWV 58
Gesu al Calvario, ZWV 62
Sub olea pacis, Melodrama de Sancto Wenceslao, ZWV 175

This is my Zelenka wish list.
bsteltz
flautofred
notabot: 42

Re: List of 9 works by Zelenka

Post by flautofred »

a Requiem in D : such a key is rather unusual for this kind of work :o

I think it's in c (minor) written.

The requiem are usually in c or d
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Have either of you done any preliminary checking to see if any/all of these are actually fair game? I suspect many of these won't make the cut but haven't done any investigating myself.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Many German manuscripts are now being scanned and uploaded, which is why I wrote my wish list. I wouldn't expect a modern edition with a realized basso continuo part to be fair game, unless it was done by someone who meets the criteria, which would almost certainly put it in the pre-1930 publication range. Zelenka is being re-discovered gradually, so I don't think he was popular enough back then to have much of his work published. Certainly WorldCat shows publications picking up only in the 80s.

However, manuscripts would give me what I need -- these are the 9 works for which he wrote chalumeau parts, and some of the arias are reputed to be very beautiful. I have only just started ordering the CDs, so I can't vouch myself for how great they're going to be.

If I could at least look at a manuscript, I could extract the arias I need to study the chalumeau writing. :)

Re: D Major for a Requiem: ZWV 48 is definitely d minor. From what I've read, it's not clear what ZWV 46 is, and one source definitely said major. I don't know which will turn out to be the real key, though . . . .
bsteltz
flautofred

Post by flautofred »

Anyway, I think it's a great idea to listen music of Zelenka ; his music is so pleasure. I am véry fond of it.

I would have a question : do you play the chalumeau ?