Pictures at an exhibition - Mussorgsky (Ravel)

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Broeckie
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Pictures at an exhibition - Mussorgsky (Ravel)

Post by Broeckie »

Hello,

For Pictures at an exhibion (arr by Ravel), there are only the first 2 violin parts online. Anyone with the rest of the parts?

Thx ahead!
m.kowalski49
active poster

Re: Pictures at an exhibition - Mussorgsky (Ravel)

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I own a set of parts. But these will not be PD in the US. They're only PD in EU only. I have several other projects I'm working and have not had anytime uploading any parts as of this year. Last set of parts I uploaded was Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. Which is PD ONLY in Canada.

mk.49
Broeckie
regular poster

Post by Broeckie »

m.kowalski49 wrote:I own a set of parts. But these will not be PD in the US. They're only PD in EU only. I have several other projects I'm working and have not had anytime uploading any parts as of this year. Last set of parts I uploaded was Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. Which is PD ONLY in Canada.

mk.49
Thx m.kowalski! Since I live in europe, this is PD for us. Would you be so kind to upload the parts?
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

They're not PDF format yet. This requires lots of scanning and time, cropping etc..

I will need to get Copyright clearance on these. I will post a topic in Copyright Status request.

Since these are only available in the US through rental from Boosey & Hawkes. I happen to own a set of parts that were purchased for Private Music Library of a gentleman who passed away recently, that played 70+ yrs in a professional 52wk orchestra. These were purchased in the 70's, according to the catalog which he kept, and did with 90% of the collection.. There is 10% of which is uncertain to when he purchased in his life. This project consists of over 2000 sets of orchestral parts. 5000 individual parts ie.. 1st Violin, 2nd and Viola, misc parts etc.. 1500 piano scores, sets of orchestral reductions and a lot of Orchestral Excerpt books.

I now have the privelage to digitize this collection.. I have been working on this for a year and only have 25% of this finished. I'm also hyper-linking the material into several excel file. Etc. So I'm completely loaded as the moment.

When the time comes to M, I will work on this. Until then, I'm currently on Dvorak. Last of the D's.

mk.49
Broeckie
regular poster

Post by Broeckie »

Thank you, mk

Fortunately, we only need the finale (the great gate of kiev). Unfortunately, we need this very soon... We'll have to look for someone else with the parts?

Good luck with uploading! Keep up the good work!
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Sorry about that. You may want to try Professional Orchestra's in your area, they might have a lending fee for perusals. I know when the Youth Orchestra here that has performed this, our Orchestra here, have lent them the parts etc.. But unfortunately I can't get them uploaded as sooner than this.

Best of luck.

mk.49
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

PS. If you are planning on doing a performance of this work? If so, if it leads to making parts from this in Finale or Sibelius or just making your own parts. I would advise against making your own parts from a score. Publishers have a way of finding out about performances and would be highly suspicious of performances that happen with out going through the proper rental process. It can get very expensive to fight with a publisher over
intellectual property and copyright infringement is something they take very seriously.

mk.49
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You could try doing another orchestration of 'Great Gate' - such as the Tushmalov we have available for instant download here. Ravel's orchestation - brilliant as it is - is frankly overdone. There have been quite a number of orchestrations made, Tushmalov's was actually the first, and made under the supervision of the composer's friend Rimsky-Korsakov, who conducted the premiere.
Broeckie
regular poster

Post by Broeckie »

Yes, I agree. And personally I think that Tushmalovs version is a better arrangement of most of the parts, except for the finale :) Ravels' Great Gate is just wow in comparison with Tushmalovs.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Has anyone here heard the Ashkenazy orchestration??? Vladimir Ashkenazy did his own arrangement and I personally think its over the top (not that kind of over the top) but like a WOW OMG over the top.

His orchestration is very well done.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I've heard it too. Yes, it is one of the very best, IMO. I like it better than Ravel's in some ways.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

PS. If you are planning on doing a performance of this work? If so, if it leads to making parts from this in Finale or Sibelius or just making your own parts. I would advise against making your own parts from a score. Publishers have a way of finding out about performances and would be highly suspicious of performances that happen with out going through the proper rental process. It can get very expensive to fight with a publisher over
intellectual property and copyright infringement is something they take very seriously.
If you make parts on Finale or Sibelius in Europe using a score that is PD in Europe there is nothing worry about (like the Ravel score in question). You can do whatever you want based off that score because it is PD.
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

Arbie Ornsteins revision is not PD anywhere. That's why my parts were removed in the first place.

In the USA that would be a different story. You guys can feel free to do whatever you want in the EU.

mk.49
m.kowalski49
active poster

Post by m.kowalski49 »

I was talking with some colleagues of mine, I mention the Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition. And, luckily, one of my colleagues has a set of parts that are the old Edition Russischer Musikverlag parts.

So, Broeckie, I completely apologize for not having this set any sooner than your recent performance.

But, I have several parts pdf'd as of now. I'm at work now, I should just make a habit of uploading them as soon as I pdf them. But, I don't unfortunately.

So, atleast half of these parts should be uploaded around 2pm (MDT) 6pm (EDT) 1am July, 3rd(London DT)

mk.49