General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Methfessel vs Jancourt, Concertino

Post by steltz »

Currently under Methfessel's name, the title page says "Concertino pour hautbois et basson avec accompagnement de Piano d'apres Methfessel arrange par Eugene Jancourt", etc., and Jancourt's name is larger than Methfessel's.

I think the term 'd'apres' would put it in the same category of pieces like variations on opera themes that get listed under the name of the person that did the variations, e.g. Bassi's Variations on Verdi's Rigoletto. This is catalogued under Bassi, not Verdi.

I think the 'Methfessel' needs to be put into a composer page for Jancourt, which doesn't exist at the moment.

Could someone do this, please?
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Methfessel vs Jancourt, Concertino

Post by kalliwoda »

I can contribute some info to this, as I have copies of the Methfessel Concertino Op.8, for 2 clarinets or oboe and clarinet and orchestra, also printed around 1840 with a piano reduction. I was planning to upload scans of this sometime in the future. The only thing Jancourt has done is to transpose the 2. clarinet part so that it can be played on the bassoon, and then it was published in Paris under his name and with his own Op.40, with the "d'apres Methfessel" as the only saving fig leave - otherwise its blatant plagiarism!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Then it should stay under Methfessel's name, because it isn't like the fantasias or variations on other people's opera themes, etc, where the structure of the piece is totally different. But I have added your comments in the comments field to clarify. One question: which was the original -- 2 clarinets, or oboe/clarinet? And thanks for the info!
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Its exactly with equal level in hierarchy, on the same line.
the title page reads:
Concertino / pour / Oboe et Clarinette, ou deux Clarinettes / avec accompagnemant de l'Orchestre / ou de Piano
op.8
Nº 119 / Basle en Suisse / chez Erneste Knop, Editeur et Marchand de Musique

I put this as alternate title on the work page - you may have noticed that I changed the work title already
from a Piano-Trio to solists with Orchestra in preparation for my downlaods in several weeks.
If you add a tag "works featuring the oboe" I am happy.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The tag is there, but at the moment it says "unknown tag" at the bottom, because this is the first usage of "oboe, clarinet, orchestra" and the system isn't recognizing it yet. Davydov goes through the new ones and does something so it will read "works for oboe, etc." Should show in a day or two.
bsteltz