steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

dLibra downloads

Post by steltz »

Does anyone know the dLibra Digital Library:

http://dlibra.bibliotekaelblaska.pl/dlibra

Specifically, I am trying to find out if they have PDFs there or whether you can only use the DjVu readers. Also, they seem to be a 1-page at a time download facility, or am I missing something?
bsteltz
cypressdome
active poster

Re: dLibra downloads

Post by cypressdome »

Hi stelz!

I've uploaded one score from there and WilliamBunting has now uploaded several. I'm not sure of his method but here's what I did. Download and install DjVuLIbre (includes both the desktop and plug-in) from http://djvu.sourceforge.net/index.html. I don't know about the browser plug-in but the desktop application has an export feature that provides several formats including PDF. In order for me to get the DjVu file to open in the desktop application I click on the "show publication content" link then select the "I have the appropriate browser plug-in" option. On the next screen I copy the link location for the "browse publication" link and in the DjVuLibre desktop application select "file" then "open location" and paste the url there. It may take a little time but you'll get the complete DjVu file which you can then export, etc.

By the way, I've created an external link template for this collection: BE (for Biblioteka Elbląska). The switch uses the 5 digit publication number to link back to the score's page.

Hope this helps!
Cypressdome
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks, I'll try it!
bsteltz
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I got stuck. I have the DjVu program now, but after clicking "Browse Publication", I don't know what URL to enter. The piece I am trying to download is Goltermann's Adagio and Tarantella, op.4 for clarinet (presumably there was once a piano part, but it seems missing).

http://dlibra.bibliotekaelblaska.pl/dli ... F7656AF2-1

is the URL for the page showing the thumbnail, and then

http://dlibra.bibliotekaelblaska.pl/dli ... 9&dirids=1

for the Browse Publication page.

Where do I find the URL to put in?
bsteltz
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

You're just one step away. The bottom link you posted should present you with a page asking you if you want to use the built-in applet or the browser plug-in. Choose browser plug-in and click "show content." That should take you to a screen with a text link for "browse publication." Right click on it to get the url for the DjVu file which is http://dlibra.bibliotekaelblaska.pl/Con ... 1891b.djvu. Copy/paste that into the "open location" option of the DjVu viewer desktop application.

Cypressdome
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

OK, I have it now, but when I export it to PDF and then try to open the PDF it says internal file error. Sorry to be a pain, but what am I doing wrong now?
bsteltz
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Not sure. It may be that the file isn't completely downloading to you from dLibra unless you force it to by viewing each page within the DjVu desktop application. You can try clicking on a page until the full view shows in the adjacent window,then move to the next page, etc., and then try exporting. If that doesn't work for you let me know and I'll be happy to upload the score to IMSLP tonight.

Cypressdome
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Having taken a look at the score it seems they have misidentified it as being Op.4 when it is actually No.4 from another work. Fortunately, we have that work: 4 Morceaux de Salon, Op.35. The cello and piano score as well as the alternate clarinet and viola parts are already there.

Cypressdome
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thank you for that!! Actually, I had managed to get it open, but not by the normal route -- I exported as JPG and then put it into photoshop and started cleaning up the material. Since it was only 2 pages long I didn't mind, but the next clarinet thing I'll try again. I'm still not sure what was causing the internal file error, but the main thing is that we have the music. Thanks again for your help.
bsteltz
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

[quote="cypressdome"]Hi stelz!

I've uploaded one score from there and WilliamBunting has now uploaded several. I'm not sure of his method but here's what I did.

In my recent experience the best way to search the Polish consortium is to go to the main portal http://fbc.pionier.net.pl/owoc

Put in an author name or an instrument (title) and stipulate score to avoid getting newspaper articles etc. Items are scattered around the country depending on the local star composer (eg Moniuszko in Lodz, Moszkowski in Poznan, Paderewski in Gdansk, Chopin everywhere) or seemingly random collections of one genre such as opera in Lodz, string music in Elblag, and popular song in various places.

There are some easy to download places such as Podlaska- multi page PDFs. However, most prefer djvu (also the fashion in the Cz Rep) which as you noted is a jump into another world. In a word, it's very inconvenient. So far I've got the free s/w to download the files.Then each multi-page djvu has to be saved to BMPs page by page (20 MB each). Then I convert to PDF, and finally assemble with PDF Editor. All told it's a laborious process.

In the case of a score such as my recent Hermann Op.15 project I had to put every page through GIMP to produce monochrome tiff, then convert to PDF. Thank you friends for advice on making monochrome from color. The results are pretty good.

If you have any ideas about getting multi-page PDFs from the DJVUs I'd like to know. At the moment, compared to the ease of processing RSL, Gallica and BSB scans, it's like wading through deep mud.

By the way, could this discussion be on the Scanning and File Creation forum as well as here?
Happy Holidays to all WB