To Beethoven Masters

Moderator: kcleung

newton.lg

To Beethoven Masters

Post by newton.lg »

Hi all of you. I'm glad to write in this forum.

Months ago i dropped a message and i got an answer quite fast.

So i'm sure this time is gonna be the same...

Here i go:

I'm trying to learn Beethoven's Op 27 No. 2's 3rd movement
(The moonlight sonata presto agitato part). I have the music score, and the 20th measure (or what i call the first part after the "intro") clearly states four quartets for the left hand, in the patron G#, D#, B, D# (just so we are sure what part i am talking about). I have listened it so many times, and just a minutes ago i find that almost everybody plays this part with only two quartets (obviosly changing it's duration).

My first question is:
Do i have a bad ear (musically speaking) or they really changed it to play just 2 quartets? (I've tried youtubing but its hard to see their fingers, since no slowmo available)
My second question, wich depends on the answer from the first one, is:
My music score is wrong? or there's an easier version?
And last, but not least:
Could you tell me what to do? :p

Thanks in advance!!
Atte. Daniel

(PS. Apologizes about ortography but english isn't my mother tongue)
La Pianista
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re

Post by La Pianista »

I'm assuming that by "quartet" you mean four groups of what we Americans call sixteenth notes.

With that assumption in mind, (I've got an urtext score in front of me) I'm pretty sure that playing only two sets would drastically mess up the tempo. (Hence, I don't think any professional, unless he/she made a mistake, would do that intentionally)

As to score recommendations, I have two sets: one urtext and a pretty rare memorial edition edited by Arther Schnabel. If you can't get a hold of the Schnabel, I suggest you find an Alfred edition.