mistake in placing the score -I need help getting it removed

Moderator: kcleung

Eleonora
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

mistake in placing the score -I need help getting it removed

Post by Eleonora »

earlier this year, I submitted a Spinnerlied score to Nikolay Rubinstein page. unfortunately, I found out that Nikolay Rubinstein IS NOT THE AUTHOR of Spinnerlied. the original is "Spinnerad", actually.....and the author is Nathan Rubinstein. I only had the first letter (N. Rubinstein) and it took some detective work to accurately point the author.
but alas, I can't erase the score from Nikolay Rubinstein's page anymore! :(
please, help
-> http://imslp.org/wiki/Spinnerlied_(Rubinstein,_Nikolay)

thanks a bunch and I promise I'll check the author more thoroughly before posting scores in the future. my sincerest apologies :mrgreen:
steltz
active poster

Re: mistake in placing the score -I need help getting it rem

Post by steltz »

I've created a composer page for Nathan Rubinstein, but unfortunately, I can't find any dates for him, so the page shows as though all his works are under copyright. I copied the period you put for Nikolay, but I'm not really sure of that either. Grove Music doesn't have an entry for a Nathan Rubinstein, nor does MusicSack.

Can you add more information to the page for him, especially dates/period?

Thanks.
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

After extensive internet searching, I cannot find any confirmed information whatsoever on the Nathan Rubinstein who wrote this piece. There are two rather well-known people with that name: a prominent rabbi born in 1852, and a Romanian Jewish writer (? he wrote at least one book, it appears) who lived from 1913 to 2004. I cannot find any evidence linking either of them to any musical compositions, especially one titled in German (the 1913 guy emigrated to Israel in 1950, apparently). WorldCat does not appear to turn up any relevant results, and Google was inconclusive for both web and book searches (I did my best to narrow down both types of searches as much as possible). In fact, the only online source linking the name Nathan Rubinstein to this work at all is a German online music store with a contents listing for a compilation of violin music assembled by Savva Shalman, for whom I cannot find dates either (though the publication seems to be from the 1980s?).
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@Eleonora: what was your source, and why are you now sure it was Nathan, not Nikolay?
bsteltz
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by pierre.chepelov »

Try googling "Натан Рубинштейн".
There is a video of that Spinnrad (Прялка) on YouTube.
Found somewhere:
1883 г. В Минске родился музыкант, дирижер и педагог Натан Рубинштейн. В 1907 году по его инициативе было открыто музыкальное училище. Дирижировал Минским городским оркестром, был одним из организаторов Минского товарищества друзей музыки.
Musician, conductor and teacher Nathan Rubinstein, born 1883 in Minsk...
[EDIT] It says he was born on June 13 − ancient or new style, I don't know.
Eleonora

Post by Eleonora »

thank you for your replies!

@steltz: I did not have any information on this composer and as a matter of fact, that was the first time I heard his name - but I see here that pierre.chepelov has answered some of our questions....
considering the source - earlier this year I got a photocopy of Spinnerad that said N. Rubinstein, but a month or so later I got my hands on another photocopy of it that said Nat. Rubinstein in Cyrillic, so it just clicked.....I got this piece because it's obligatory piece for my student's upcoming competition.

@KGill: I recently bought one of those books through Ruslandia. it's Music reader for violin, or Hrestomatija za violino in Slovenian (where I live).

@pierre.chepelov: THANKS A BUNCH!!! :o though I can read Cyrillic, it never occured to me that I should type my search in Cyrillic....brilliant! you're far better detective than I am :mrgreen:
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

And to make this a bit more interesting, the piece is published by EMB as "Das Spinnrad" and credited to Anton Rubinstein, "revised" by Györgyi Répássy.
Eleonora

Post by Eleonora »

upon reading this, I don't feel so bad about misplacing the author. digital mistakes can at least be edited :lol: