What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Moderator: kcleung

shelby_vn
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Post by shelby_vn »

I love Russian music. In fact, I'm listening to some right now

Tchaikovsky, Symphony n°6, "Pathétique", Karajan interpretation.

About the Mozart effect: I have just been informed by my mother that I have been exposed to such music before being born (Mozart and Beethoven's 9th mainly). I may now become a genius any moment.
Sergeï
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Sergeï »

Hmmm, I do love Tchaikovsky's 6th. Just went to a concert to see his 5th too ^_^ As for the last thing I listened to, that would be a couple of Rossini's overtures, always a nice way to start the day.

Oh, and about turning into a genius: I'd rather think exposing children to Leopold Mozart's music would be the right thing. I mean: W. listened to that as a foetus and a child, and became the genius, whereas his own offspring didn't really reach his level. So yeah, when I'm having children, it's Leo's music they'll be hearing :mrgreen:
"We love art because life is not enough." - Fernando Pesora
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I've been listening to "The Magic Flute" all week driving to and from work.

It's impossible to fall asleep at the wheel when listening to "The Magic Flute." Especially if one "sings" along. (I am not a morning person, and before the necessary amount of caffeine enters the bloodstream, the world is not a happy place.)

My coffee consumption has dropped noticeably.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
burkie

Post by burkie »

Right now i am listening to brandenburg concerto no.5 in D major-allegro-bach(my favorite)
and i think your right about the metal fans thing.I'm a big metal-head myself and i love classical music
there is a band Manowar they are heavy metal but have a lot of tributes to classical composers and pieces
zdsmith

Post by zdsmith »

Currently Listening: Raindrop Prelude (Prelude 15 via Chopin)
simpleviolet wrote: I should really pick up an LTE album, I've known about them since I started listening to DT, about 4 years ago, and I have yet to buy an album of LTE's. I have listened to a few songs, though.
Please do! All of the works that I have ever heard LTE do are phenomenal, and alot of there stuff varies a good bit from Dream Theater (although, some of the styles of Dream Theaters music are all over the place). LTE is definitely worth a listen to. Both the first and the second albums are phenomenal! From what I have heard the Liquid Trio experiment (Portnoy, Rudess, and Chapman (I believe)) is not all that good. But check it out because you can't just take my word!

:D
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Anton Reicha's Clarinet Quintet in F major, Op. 107

I would recommended this piece for everyone to listen to.
The clarinetist Karl Schlechta has a pretty descent recording of this with the Maggini Quartett.
Sergeï
regular poster

Post by Sergeï »

Hmm, Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto (Barenboim/Klemperer interpretation). Nothing like the good old classics every now and then :mrgreen:
"We love art because life is not enough." - Fernando Pesora
dwil9798
active poster

Post by dwil9798 »

Schoenberg's Moses und Aron, as found on this site:

http://www.schoenberg.at/6_archiv/music ... oses_e.htm

Does anyone know which recording this is? It is an excellent version and I would love to know.
pocoallegro
forum adept

Post by pocoallegro »

Franz Schreker Die Gezeichneten...if you like Strauss, Debussy, Puccini, Korngold, or any combination of the four check it out, especially the prelude!
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Webern, Op. 27 - although I prefer to play it myself.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
thefrenchhornguy
regular poster

Post by thefrenchhornguy »

"To Life" from the musical "Fiddler on the Roof". I love the lively feel of this particular song. All the music from "Fiddler on the Roof" is truly exceptional. L'chaim!
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Jupiter from The Planets by Gustav Holst.

This is a really great work. It kind of reminds me of the Western United States.

I have one question for all of you out there, why wasn't Holst knighted?
thefrenchhornguy
regular poster

Post by thefrenchhornguy »

"Overture to the Wasps", by Ralph Vaughan Williams.
I don't think that this piece is truly appreciated. It really is good music. I read somewhere that a critic of the overture said "the music never really takes wing and sings". Sure it does. Just listen to the horns and strings in the chorale section. Magnificent stuff.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Procession of the Nobles from Mlada by Rimsky-Korsakov, orchestral version

the russian nationalism........ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................

For the people that love Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 and thinks it sounds Russian, you have no idea what real Russian music sounds like until you listen to this. 8)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

allegroamabile wrote:Procession of the Nobles from Mlada by Rimsky-Korsakov, orchestral version

the russian nationalism........ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................

For the people that love Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 6 and thinks it sounds Russian, you have no idea what real Russian music sounds like until you listen to this. 8)
If you haven't done so yet, you need to listen to the entire opera Mlada. There is a DVD of the Bolshoi production of many years ago -- in which they do some ridiculous things with the staging -- and there is the Soviet recording from the '60s, I think (with a poor leading tenor vocalist). The choral numbers are superb.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)