Opinions on Carl Maria von Weber's Works

Moderator: kcleung

sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Opinions on Carl Maria von Weber's Works

Post by sbeckmesser »

allegroamabile wrote:So what do all of you think of Haydn's Creation. What about that sunrise, huh? 8)
Do you mean the spectacular cadence in C-major on "And there was light" (und es ward Licht)? I love it as well as the quasi-atonal Chaos that precedes it, though the big cadence is not a sunrise but "merely" the creation of light. The sun isn't actually created until the Recit No.11 (Und Gott sprach: Es sei'n Lichter) and the first sunrise occurs only in at the start of the following recit No.12 (Im vollem Glanze). This is almost as impressive, with a crescendo from pianissimo to fortissimo over 10 bars applied to an elementary harmonization of an ascending D-major scale. It is another impressive effect produced from extremely simple means. Haydn has been among my top dozen composers since I was a kid.

--Sixtus
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

This is the part I am talking about: In vollem Glanze steiget jetzt die Sonne (In splendour bright is rising now the sun)

So the second one you mentioned. Isn't that so sublime?

I even like it better than the "And there was light" in the second movement.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

If you want to hear a sunrise, listen to the one that Rimsky-Korsakov wrote in Act III of May Night (right before Levko sings the line "???, ???, ? ?? ????.").
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I'm partial to the one at the end of Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, but probably only because it's a clarinet solo . . . . .
bsteltz
dwil9798
active poster

Post by dwil9798 »

Ravel's depiction of daybreak in Daphnis et Chloe is one of the most brilliantly orchestrated pieces of music ever written.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

steltz wrote:I'm partial to the one at the end of Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, but probably only because it's a clarinet solo . . . . .
That's Rimsky-Korsakov's version, if memory serves. Musorgsky's original did not end with that.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Notnd

Post by Notnd »

Well. I like his Bassoon Concerto :D
I used to be perfect...Now I'm even better!
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Notnd wrote:Well. I like his Bassoon Concerto :D
Weber's?

Anyways, I think it is best that we get back on topic. There is this one overture by Weber that is really stunning, and it is never played. It is called the Der Beherrscher der Geister, or The Ruler of Spirits.
Philgo

Post by Philgo »

I love Weber's works. I have been working on an English adaptation of Abu Hassan. I ideally would like an editable score - so I can edit in the English words. Does anyone have one?

I believe Weber produced both an orchestral and piano version himself for this opera.

Is the piano score on IMSLP Weber's original - does anyone have it? and can upload it?

Cheers Philgo