Help in learning Pieces

Moderator: kcleung

pwarriors
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Help in learning Pieces

Post by pwarriors »

I am a college freshman that loves to play classical music. For this semester's repertoire I will be performing L'isle Joyeuse (Debussy), Piano Sonata no. 21 (3rd movement; by Beethoven), Scarlatti Toccata in D Minor,Concert Etude no. 3 (Un sosipro; Liszt), And Chopin's Etude no. 12 op 10, as well as trying to learn three other pieces in my spare time (Debussy's Reviere, Liszts Liebesträume, and an undecided piece) Does anyone have any suggestions on learning any of these pieces? All comments appreciated!
sbeckmesser
active poster

Re: Help in learning Pieces

Post by sbeckmesser »

Do you mean learning as in being able to get your fingers on the right keys at the right time or learning as in memorization? You do know, don't you, the punch line to "How do you get to Carnegie Hall"?

--Sixtus
pwarriors

Post by pwarriors »

Lol, yes...but more than just memorization, as far as what are some things that help you interpret these pieces better?
pianogirl23
regular poster

Post by pianogirl23 »

ummm...to learn these pieces first you have to make sure you've got the technique down perfect
even if you think piece calls for things like inegle or free rhythm...practice it first until you get every note and every chord exactly perfect and
where it needs to be
once you have it down pat (like you can play it like a machine) start putting some feeling into it
for instance, the ravel calls for a lot of "fun joy" (if you know what i mean) the the liszt calls for precision and romantics, the debussy calls for a sort of dreamy iridescence
go through every measure intent on getting each interpretation down perfectly
make up stories to go with the music and colors to go with each measure
you can memorize the pieces easily by remembering the stories and the correct color that goes with each measure
utilize a broad range of dynamics and contrast
listen to recordings of other people...how do their interpretations sound? how do you want your interpretation to sound?
be careful you don't copy though (it can happen consciously and unconsciously)...listen to people for the first week and then take off on your own
this should all take around a month to perfect
i practice 3-6 hours/day
oh and try to focus on one piece per practice session
more than one piece can get conflicting
use highlighters/colored pencils/pens to mark up the music and help you remember what you have to do
but don't forget that your fingers have memory too!!
also, if you have to perform
pretend that the composer of the piece you're performing is sitting in the audience
what do you want him to "go away with" when you're done?
all the best practicing!! :) :D
Source: serious concert pianist
"...Love, love, love that is the soul of a genius..."
~ WA Mozart
Sathrandur
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Sathrandur »

sbeckmesser wrote:You do know, don't you, the punch line to "How do you get to Carnegie Hall"?

--Sixtus
This reminds me of a particular story when Sergei Rachmaninoff was performing there quite a long time ago. He was performing a concerto I believe when an orchestra member whispered to him when he had a free moment "where are we?" having lost his place in the music.
Rachmaninov replied "Carnegie Hall". :lol:
88Keys

Post by 88Keys »

A college freshman playing these pieces? Sounds like you're either quite advanced or biting off some hefty rep prematurely. Actually, I'm rather baffled how you could get to this level and be asking how to learn the music. Have you studied formally over several years in a guided, progressive manner, building sequentially through the literature?

You don't say if you're a music major, or if you are studying with a teacher. It seems to me that if you're not a piano major, then Pianogirl23's advice is worth following. But if you are a student, your questions should be directed to your teacher!

I've had more than one adult student transfer to my studio telling me they play Rachmaninoff and Chopin, etc. but when it came time to show me their stuff, it was clear they'd been seriously mislead by an unskilled teacher (and there are many here in Music City USA) who gave them pieces way over their heads.

James Weinberg, MME
http://www.JamesMusicStudio.com
Franklin, TN