Best Chopin Etudes/Preludes Recording

Moderator: kcleung

BKhon

Best Chopin Etudes/Preludes Recording

Post by BKhon »

What does everyone think is the best recording of the Chopin etudes/preludes? Furthermore, who do you believe to be the greatest interpretor. I'm curious to see if anyone disagrees with the generally accepted belief that the greatest Chopin interpretor is Alfred Cortot.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Best Chopin Etudes/Preludes Recording

Post by vinteuil »

BKhon wrote:the greatest Chopin interpretor is Alfred Cortot.
I'd have to agree with that, but Pollini has the best etudes/preludes IMO.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
feqia
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by feqia »

I'm actually happy with Samson François
sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by sbeckmesser »

I would never propose anybody as "the greatest" interpreter of anything, not even composers of their own works. If there's a single best interpreter, what room does that leave for lesser mortals to say anything. Also, a single best interpreter poses a great danger of being used as model for one's own interpretation, which is extremely dangerous for performers. Just ask any jurist at any major classical music competition.

That being said I've gotten great enjoyment out of Murray Perahia's recording of the Etudes.

--Sixtus
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

sbeckmesser wrote:I would never propose anybody as "the greatest" interpreter of anything, not even composers of their own works.
I completely agree with that :). IMHO, Rachmaninov's interpretations of his own works (with the exception of the third piano concerto) are far from excellent... especially compared to Richter, who I believe to be the best Rachmaninoff interpretor.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

BKhon wrote:
sbeckmesser wrote:I would never propose anybody as "the greatest" interpreter of anything, not even composers of their own works.
I completely agree with that :). IMHO, Rachmaninov's interpretations of his own works (with the exception of the third piano concerto) are far from excellent... especially compared to Richter, who I believe to be the best Rachmaninoff interpretor.
Absolutely...but then again I think that Richter is the best Schumann, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky...interpreter (not skrjabin, that's definitely sofronitsky)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
BKhon

Post by BKhon »

perlnerd666 wrote: Absolutely...but then again I think that Richter is the best Schumann, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky...interpreter (not skrjabin, that's definitely Sofronitsky)
Richter used to be my favorite pianist. His interpretation of the Beethoven Sonata (No.18) is not comparable. I also agree that Sofronitsky is the greatest Scriabin interpretor. However, I personally prefer Richter's recording of the 5th piano sonata. Although he doesn't bring out the inner voices as much as I would prefer, his overall articulation and tempi are impeccable.