Finding PD Music

Moderator: kcleung

ras1
active poster

Finding PD Music

Post by ras1 »

Where does everyone get all of this PD music? The only place I can find it is on this site and Mutopia/SheetMusicFox.

Also, if anyone finds a PD copy of Brahms's Piano Quartet No.3 in C Minor (preferably with parts), I would be eternally grateful if you could put it on IMSLP.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

We scan them from the printed music in most cases--some of us have large personal collections and some are students at Universities/Colleges where they borrow scores from their libraries.
As for the Brahms quartet, put it on the request page (wishlist).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I search P2P software check the legality of it and upload it (if legal). Everything I have uploaded is from emule.

Oh I scan it for viruses first. :P

When I get more time I will be scanning them.

AW7
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Oh so you're one of the ones whose been snatching my scans and uploading them! :D
A year or so ago I used to share out my whole collection (almost all of which were scans I made from my own or rented scores) on emule until something/someone happened which caused it to erase everything. Since then on the web and here at IMSLP when I first joined I noticed, especially the already uploaded Ravel scores, most of them were mine. I was certainly glad to see they were being circulated well, and I've noticed many many within the MIT collection also. Fortunately, I managed to recover almost all of them, but before that happened I had complete collections, at least piano, for most French composers including Schmitt, Ravel, Debussy, and Alexander Tansman's complete piano works including transcriptions and ballet scores. I learned a valuable word during that experience: "backup".
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

daphnis wrote:I learned a valuable word during that experience: "backup".
Indeed ;) At least I backup IMSLP like I'm obsessed, so something similar should not happen to IMSLP :)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

In light of the recent debacle at CDPL, we are very thankful for your obession about backing up!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Indeed. You can never be too neurotic about backing up files, ESPECIALLY in our situation.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hehehe ;) I have "hot" (hard drive) backups every day (in 2 separate places), with "cold" (DVD) backups every 1-2 weeks. :)
mister_pianoman

Post by mister_pianoman »

i bought myself two extrenal hard drives after losing 30 gigs of audio music when my laptop crashed. ($#@^%&*&^%ing gateway...)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I know what you feel like. I had 20something gbs of music, and I put it all on an external h/d and after a week of having bought the h/d... it crashed.

Then about three months later after I had almost got back (a lot) of my music, (my desktop was broken so I was just using the laptop), the laptop h/d crashed. It was great.....

so yeh...

I know what it's like.

DON'T FRICKEN DROP THAT HARD DRIVE EVER THEY ARE THE MOST DELICATE THINGS EVER.