Which piece would you recommend?

Moderator: kcleung

Sepko

Which piece would you recommend?

Post by Sepko »

Well I'm a pretty average violinist. I'm looking for a piece that I should work on now. Something that is fairly simple to memorize.

my current "repertoire" includes:
Mozart violin Concert no. 3
Bach Concerto in a minor
Handel Sonatas (some)
And a few others...

I know its very small, which is why I'm looking to expand this list with a bunch more pieces. Any recommendations that are simpler or at the same level would be greatly appreciated.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Ooh, maybe Antonio Bazzini's Ronde des Lutins (Goblins' Dance) Fantsatic Op. 25? It's not on IMSLP yet (although is in the wishlist) however it is in NWC format found here

If you are a paid member you can download and listen to mp3s and midis of it here, however you are not, you can join as a free member and listen to streaming mp3s and 4 midi's per day.

It may look difficult, but I have been told by violinist acquaintances that it is simpler than it looks.

Bazzini - wiki

AW7
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I found a PD one and uploaded it

Here is a video.

This is nice too.

AW7
Sepko

:)

Post by Sepko »

I'll look into it. As far as I can see looks difficult for me, but you never know until you try it. I'm not so great at double stops, but that's why I'm working on Legende by Wieniawski. I'll ask my teacher if we could work on this a bit and see how it goes! Thanks for your help.

Also if anyone else has recommendations send them!
Sepko

!

Post by Sepko »

Wow, those are some wicked videos. I really liked Perlman's version.

The second one was equally cool, but the Goblins' Dance for me, personally, is a catchier tune.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Although I like the Tchaikovsky and Brahms violin concertos I believe they would be too difficult.

Oh, with the Mozart, in terms of technical difficulty it probably isn't too difficult, but anything of his is almost impossibly difficult to play musically. and if you make any mistake, it shines out a mile.

What of the Cesar Franck violin sonata in A minor (Particularly the 'canon' of the last movement?)

Ogg media at wiki of a performance.

Videos of the sonata by Christian Ferras

Don't know the quality of the score

This piece is nice

AW7

[url]
EthanFauxe

Post by EthanFauxe »

I'm thinking Mendelssohn...
His violin sonatas are quite nice.
kapustin

Re: Which piece would you recommend?

Post by kapustin »

Try the suite for violin & piano by Henry Cowell. You NEED another kind of music and it's not so difficult or "strange".
Let's work a little for the contemporary music. 8)
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

what about, Choses Vues a Droite et a Gauche by Satie? Awesome!

**Please do not post unsubstantiated links to files not checked. Especially since you actually have to sign-up to download...**AW7
willard3

Post by willard3 »

I'm not particularly well-versed on violin music (I'm a pianist), but what I've heard and like...

Rondo Capriccioso by Saint-Saens
Concerto in G minor by Bruch (last movement especially, but has lots of double stops)
Either of Mendelssohn's concertos
samthegreat
regular poster

-

Post by samthegreat »

oh, sorry about that. i did get that score from imslp, and it is in public domain, but I can see the problems which can arise from continued postings to the forums of files that are unable to be verified as pd and virus free.

and btw you can download from rapidshare without an account or signing up or anything, but it limits an i.p. to one file every couple hours.

I love satie! My principal classical music teacher hated Satie for some reason, and never let me perform any. He was like, "Sam, I hate to creatively stifle you, but I'm going to put my foot down concerning Satie." LOL

Also, what did mendelssohn write for violin and piano? I managed to snag a couple from here (violin sonata op4 and violin concerto op64), but they might be mis-titled.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I apologise if I sound a little too formal. And thank you for understanding, considering I've seen you around a bit and that you know how things work I doubted it would be illegal, but it's just probably not the best idea (as you said).
and btw you can download from rapidshare without an account or signing up or anything, but it limits an i.p. to one file every couple hours.
I couldn't find a link, maybe I missed it...
I love satie! My principal classical music teacher hated Satie for some reason, and never let me perform any. He was like, "Sam, I hate to creatively stifle you, but I'm going to put my foot down concerning Satie." LOL
:? :? . No offence... but that is not good teaching...
Also, what did mendelssohn write for violin and piano? I managed to snag a couple from here (violin sonata op4 and violin concerto op64), but they might be mis-titled.
They are correct titles, here is a list of works that have violin (ignoring quartets and the obvious orchestral roles):

Violin and Piano Sonata in F minor (1825)
Op. 49, Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor (1839)
Op. 64, Violin Concerto in E minor (1844)
Op. 66, Piano Trio No. 2 in C minor (1845)

**Works without opus number**
Early concertos, with chamber (string) orchestra accompaniment: Piano (A minor); Violin (D minor); Piano & violin (D minor); 2 pianos (E major and A flat major)
Two sonatas for violin and piano, both in F major (1820 and 1838)
Viola Sonata in C minor (1823-24)
chopin144

searshing

Post by chopin144 »

please
I'm searshing for sonata N 17 op 32 of beethoven
please help me to find it
thx :(
I love piano
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

We don't accept score transferal, unless from tried and true PD websites (CPDL et al).
Sorry.
Sathrandur

Post by Sathrandur »

I suggest a transcription of Rachmaninoff's Vocalise, Op 34. No. 14.
Very nice with piano accompaniment, but you could probably perform it without the piano and it would still be absolutely delightful. Trust Sergei Rachmaninoff to write something so beautiful.