Albeniz´s Spanish rhapsody

Moderator: kcleung

danad

Albeniz´s Spanish rhapsody

Post by danad »

Albeniz wrote his spanish rhapsody for piano and orchestra, but in IMSLP is a solo piano version. I am very interested on play that version, but I don´t know who whrote him. The score in IMSLP is an official edition by Union Musical española of 1922. I think Albeniz wrote this solo piano version, but in the internet is difficult to find an answer. Anybody knows this?

Thanks.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

From all I've been able to determine about this piece, Albeniz wrote it with the intention of orchestrating it (and possibly left sketches -- not sure) but never did. Georges Enescu did an orchestration, as did someone with the last name of Halffter (which is the version Alecia de Larocca played on Decca).
So I believe only the piano version would be in the PD.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Grove Music Online gives this information:

Rapsodia española, piano and orchestra, op.70

arr. 2 pianos (1887), piano solo (1922)

orchestrated by G. Enescu, 1911
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
danad

Thanks

Post by danad »

Your answers were very usefully. I must say that spanish rhapsody for solo piano has been recorded only by (one?) pianist. Today I found in itunes this record. Marie-Andrée Ostiguy is the pianist.
Thanks.
maopiano
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Albeniz´s Spanish rhapsody

Post by maopiano »

Hi, this is Marie-Andrée Ostiguy. I am a Canadian concert pianist and composer.

Thank you for looking up this fantastic piece that is so seldom played.

I discovered that Albéniz himself wrote the piano solo version ot the Rapsodia Española while doing repertoire research for my recording "Española".

There was a short mention of the piece in a French biography and I got very intrigued since I could not find any recording of the solo version. I researched the score and learned that it was re-issued in 1994 by Union Musical in Madrid and ordered it. I recorded it in 2002. It is an absolutely fantastic piece to perform!

Here's the link to listen to it on my website:

http://www.mamusico.com/en/discography. ... panola.php

Enjoy! :D

http://www.marieandreeostiguy.com/