Beethoven's concert nº 3

Moderator: kcleung

JoaoLima
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Beethoven's concert nº 3

Post by JoaoLima »

Hi!
I wanted to know if there is any CD or any site to download Beethoven's concert nº 3, but not with the orchestra. There is a partition version where a second piano plays the orchestra part.
If someone knows about any recording with these 2 pianos, please tell me!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

So are you asking for a recording (audio) of this or the 2 piano reduction score?
JoaoLima
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by JoaoLima »

daphnis wrote:So are you asking for a recording (audio) of this or the 2 piano reduction score?
I'm asking for a recording.... i have the score. for 2 pianos. my teacher gave them to me to play with another student of her.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I don't know of any free recordings available of that concerto, sorry. And it will be unlikely you'll find a commercial one of the 2 piano reduction, although that's not to say one doesn't exist.
Bamboo Boy

Re: Beethoven's concert nº 3

Post by Bamboo Boy »

Just out of complete curiosity, why would you want such a thing? A recording of the concerto with piano reduction instead of orchestra, right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here...
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Bamboo Boy wrote:Just out of complete curiosity, why would you want such a thing? A recording of the concerto with piano reduction instead of orchestra, right? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here...
I know I would love recordings of those for certain composers, if the composer did the arrangement themselves.
Bamboo Boy

Post by Bamboo Boy »

Ahhh.....I see. In my experience most reductions were done much later than the composition by a discretely if at all credited person, and playing concertos, particularly piano concertos (due to monotony of texture) have always been considered a kind of evil necessity to perform pieces, approximating something like actually performing the concerto properly.

I guess you are thinking of works that are more along the lines of Liszt's arrangements of the Beethoven symphonies, which certainly ARE interesting. I just didn't know that composers did a lot of their own arrangements for piano reduction of their concertos. I could see why that might be interesting. Can you tell me some cases of this? I'm very interested!
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

Money. A reduction, especially in the 19th century, would sell far more copies than the full orchestra one.
It's not too common for piano concerti, though for other concerti a lot of composers did their own. Far more common was making two piano (or possibly piano duet) versions of other pieces, from symphonies to string quartets to everything else.