Reproducing scores from Petrucci music library

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

coletteMGH
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Reproducing scores from Petrucci music library

Post by coletteMGH »

hello, I am writing on behalf of an educational publishing company in Australia. If scores from your library are in the public domain can these be re-published in a schools textbook. The three items we wish to re-publish are: Eine kleine Nachtmusik, first movement (Mozart), Étude, Opus 10, No 3 (Chopin) and ‘The Anvil Chorus’ from Il Travatore (Verdi). These would be published in a secondary schools music textbook due to publish in 2010. Thank you. colette hoeben.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Re: Reproducing scores from Petrucci music library

Post by Lyle Neff »

The scores on IMSLP aren't owned by IMSLP. They are in public domain, so one can use them freely, as long as it's legal in one's locality to download (some of the scores are not PD in the EU, for instance).

Nevertheless, a mention in the acknowledgments would be appreciated as a boost to recognition of the IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library.

The main thing to make sure of is the quality of the scan and how well it will print. Be sure to print out a sample of any of the files you need to make sure that the image of the scores that will be printed in the textbook will be good enough. If the scan quality leaves a fuzzy or otherwise unsatisfactory image, please ask on the bulletin board whether someone could upload a better scan.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
I. de Zwarte
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by I. de Zwarte »

"Nevertheless, a mention in the acknowledgments would be appreciated as a boost to recognition of the IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library."
-----
Check out this new site: kostenlose orgelnoten.de.

I checked this one: Debussy, 12 Pièces pour Orgue and remembered have seen this one on IMSLP.

I know, it's public domain - but I'm not sure I like it.
Especially not because I couldn't find any mention of IMSLP. But I did find this quote in the "Gästebuch" in an other part of this new project : "Ich möchte mich recht herzlich bei Ihnen bedanken für die viele Mühe und Arbeit (......), die Sie sich machen."
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It's public domain. They may have gotten it from Sibley Library, who I think is the original scanner. We try to credit the scanner in most cases - even with a link to their site (if known). Sibley has been a great resource, which we are very proud to mirror here (albeit imperfectly, due to copyright differences between the USA and Canada). However, public domain is, after all, public domain. Both the composer and the arranger (Leon Roques) are free in the EU, so kostenlose is free to do whatever they like.
I. de Zwarte

Post by I. de Zwarte »

I agree, but still I don't like it 100%, especially when they also sell a dvd with pdf's with all the organ-repertoire: http://edition-kreusch.de/noten/1/3/280 ... fuer_Orgel

But, OK, there are more people who discovered the similarity: http://www.orgelforum.de/forum_entry.php?id=76518

Not to mention that the site-owner not has learned from the problems IMSLP had with Universal a couple of years ago...
Well, not our problem.
http://www.orgelforum.de/forum_entry.php?id=76503
Philidor
Groundskeeper

Post by Philidor »

I. de Zwarte wrote:I agree, but still I don't like it 100%...
Me neither. But there's nothing wrong with a private company seeking to profiteer from IMSLP's work being named and shamed on this forum. This is a well spidered site so, hopefully, some potential customers will spot the discussion and choose to avoid the private company, tell their friends to avoid it, and obtain their music from IMSLP.
I. de Zwarte

Post by I. de Zwarte »

The site-owner has admitted that all his stuff is from other sites. Because of (with all respect for the work, as he writes) the difficult navigation and multiple languages on IMSLP ( = too complicated) he made an more surveyable alternative.
http://www.orgelforum.de/forum_entry.php?id=76540