Rachmaninoff's works... Still unavailable?

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

nutchai
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Rachmaninoff's works... Still unavailable?

Post by nutchai »

Hello to everyone here at IMSLP.

I'm a frequent user of IMSLP but recently found myself unable to access Rachmaninoff's Piano Sonata No. 2 (revised edition) and his Variations on a Theme by Corelli... From what I understand, under US copyright laws, these works are not public domain works. But also from my limited understanding, this should not apply for else such as Australia (where I'm from).

So technically I SHOULD be able to download these files... right? :(

I apologise if this has been talked about before and if I've posted in the wrong section but I do look forward to hearing from the folks at IMSLP :)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

IMSLP does this as a precaution to protect against users illegally downloading these files, to the best of my knowledge.
Please do not ask the uploader to email you the file; they have no way to verify your location - Also, even if you are only in the U.S. for two hours, U.s. law applies.
nutchai

Post by nutchai »

Hey thanks for the quick replay. So basically I won't be able to download it from IMSLP for a very long time? :(

That's quite a shame..
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

nutchai wrote:Hey thanks for the quick replay. So basically I won't be able to download it from IMSLP for a very long time? :(

That's quite a shame..
In the meantime, you can always try to acquire the printed music -- through purchase (new or used), borrowing (library, acquaintance), or inheritance. :D
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
audunsj
forum adept

Post by audunsj »

Or you can simply visit another webpage where it is available (then IMSLP will not be involved with you breaking US laws). As I'm not sure how the moderators (please tell me) will react to me publishing the link here, you will find the page in question among the links offered in "Other music score websites" on the Contributor Portal page.