Melartin symphony No. 6

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

alhambra

Melartin symphony No. 6

Post by alhambra »

I submitted Melartin Symphony No. 6.

The status is Public Domain - Non-PD US.

How come? - it is public domain in Finland since 2007 (or: 1/1/2008) - composer died in 1937 - 70 years from death.

The published score itself is from 1935 - published by the composer himself [in Denmark] (with his own money on his 60th birthday).

So... how many years is there to wait until it gets free in US.. ?

Forgive me if question is stupid, but US legislation is not my best field, just curious. Almost too much law material to go through..

Thanks

~alhambra
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

95 years from date of publication, since it was published before (1978?). Do the math
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I just checked this. The notice is defective as far as the US requirement at the time (1935), which means that an NIE filing was needed to restore the copyright in the USA. No NIE is on file for this with the Copyright Office. It has been therefore retagged to V/C/V as it is most likely public domain in the USA.
alhambra

Post by alhambra »

Thank you very much for going through this, I appreciate it much, much.

Regarding "perlnerd666" - I don't understand the need for rudeness. I might be a newbie in this forum, but I'm not a newbie in the classical world, thanks. And if my question was annoying for you, I sincerely apologise.

Best

~alhambra
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Alhambra,

Nice scan, and interesting to see the composer’s own markings as well as various conducting scribbles!

Regards, Philip

I wouldn’t worry about apologising for the brusqueness of other posters! Intent is often easily mistaken in text-based forums, and the answer was probably not meant to be as rude as it actually appeared.
--
PML (talk)
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

pml wrote:[...] the answer was probably not meant to be as rude as it actually appeared.
That's why emoticons can help a little bit. :wink:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)