General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Czech Publishers - SNKLHU, Orbis etc

Post by Peter »

I invite anyone with an insight into the history of the Czech publishers to write a page about it on the wiki (Urbanek, Hudebni Matice, SNKLHU, Orbis, Odeon, Supraphon...) It's rather confusing and googling it doesn't make me any wiser...
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

there is already a page "editio supraphon" which covers artia orbis snkhu and supraphon. I created it and Carolus (of course) has made it what it is.
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Wow, that's a nice coincidence, I hadn't seen it before! But is SNKLHU, SNKLU, Artia, Orbis and Supraphon really a synonym? I think these names were used in different time periods.

I'll link to it from some pages.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

They were all imprints of the same state agency, whose use seemed to merge and diverge at whim. Supraphon was originally supposed to be just recordings. More facts will emerge as time goes by and knowledgeable people join in to contribute. Our Muzgiz/Muzika page is at least as good as the one on Grove Online and probably even better.

We could still use some more detailed info about the relationships between the music departments of the various state publishing enterprises of the different Soviet "republics" and the big kahuna sitting atop Mr. Jurgenson's old music factory in Moscow. I read recently that one of Pavel Jurgenson's descendants is on the board of the reconstituted P. Jurgenson in Moscow.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:[...] I read recently that one of Pavel Jurgenson's descendants is on the board of the reconstituted P. Jurgenson in Moscow.
That must mean that the restoration of the Russian monarchy must be just around the corner. :wink:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Interesting, I did't know Grove covered music publishing as well. I filled in some essential dates on the supraphon page.