Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Haydn Divertimento Hob. II, 14

Post by kalliwoda »

Something is not exactly correct here:

Haydn Divertimento Hob. II, 14 in C is not only listed in Grove as for 2 clarinets and 2 horns,
but it has also been published by Doblinger in the critical editions by H. Robbins Landon in this form.

Then I checked in the Wind Catalogs by David Whitwell, and the incipit does not match the work on imslp.
The work arranged by Notenschreiber instead is listed as the Divertimento Hob. II, 7 in C, and this is for 2 oboes, 2 horns and 2 bassoons.

Now there could be mistakes in the Whitwell listing, e.g. he lists Hob.II, 14 as for 2 cl 2 bn 2 hn...., with the Doblinger edition and the autograph without any comment to the possible discrepancy in instrumentation (I think its a simple typo), but to misattribute an incipit would be a far more serious mistake.

Anybody out there who can check this out - I should have parts of Hob.II,7 here but can't find the sheets :?

Update: In the recordings of Haydn "Complete works for windensemble" with the Consortium classicum (Teldec 1989), this aarangement is under Hob.II,7 as well. Seems Notenschreiber has the wrong original attributed (same key, same movement titles, however). I just corrected the work page.
Melodia
active poster

Re: Haydn Divertimento Hob. II, 14

Post by Melodia »

The Chwialkowski book (a large book of many many composers' works lists) lists Hob II:14 as "2cl, 2hn & ?2insts" which further cements the confusion. I'd wager it was published in multiple forms over the years and noone is sure what the original was (not unsurprising in Haydn's case). His source for Haydn's works is the Hoboken cataloge and a book called simply "Haydn" by a K. Galimard.
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

I was the one who originally did the tagging, and I went by Grove, in fact putting a note in citing Grove. I can try to check my library's big Haydn edition to see if it is in there to compare.
bsteltz
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

The full Henle critical edition also has this as Hob.II:7. Notenschreiber might want to re-do the titles on this, since it references the Hob.II:14 Divertimento. As it stands, it will be confusing.

However, as far as Hob.II:14 goes, the Henle edition definitely says 2cl, 2hn, and there is no question over a 5th or 6th part. But since IMSLP doesn't have this (yet), we don't need to worry about it.
bsteltz
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

I will change the title as soon as possible. Thank you for detecting the error.
Notenschreiber