Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring for organ

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Borealis
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring for organ

Post by Borealis »

I'd really like to find a transcription of this part of BWV 147; I'm the new church organist at my parish, and I'd like to learn this. So far I've only found choral versions of this, and my own transcription ability is somewhat lacking. Can anyone help me?
An amateur practices until he gets it right; a professional practices until he can't get it wrong.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring for organ

Post by Lyle Neff »

I used to be a church organist. In my collection of sheet music are at least three different transcriptions of this piece -- all of which are still copyrighted.

I don't know how far back arrangements of this piece go; it's possible that a PD edition exists, but I don't know of any. Chances are, if there are any arrangements still in print, they'd be copyrighted, in which case they wouldn't be made available on IMSLP.

On the bright side, you could use this as an opportunity to learn/practice writing transcriptions. I myself did many when I was active, although not of "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring."
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
el_supremo
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring for organ

Post by el_supremo »

I probably found this thread too late to be of help, but I recently bought "Favourite Melodies for Organ" arranged by Rawsthorne and Ridout. It has Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring in it.
With shipping to Canada it cost $25Can at alibris.com

Pete