Igor Stravinsky

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

jroyal
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Igor Stravinsky

Post by jroyal »

I've been looking for like 45 min on Google, and I can't find a free download....Only ones that you have to pay for.....
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
klavier777
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Pulcinella Suite 1922 version Re: Igor Stravinsky

Post by klavier777 »

Hi. Does anyone know what the status of Pulcinella suite original 1922 version is? My youth orchestra has a set of parts by Kalmus (presumably pre-1996) and I'm assuming this is NOT the same set of parts used in the 1947 version rented out by Boosey. Is anyone familiar with the publication history of this piece? I don't have the Kalmus set in front of me but is this a reprint of the original edition? (Chester??) if so, was there ever a score published by either Chester or Kalmus? I can't seem to find/locate a score of the original 1922 version in any library. Also, how different is the 1922 suite from the 1947 suite? if anyone could shed some light into this, I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Pulcinella is a complicated mess in copyright terms. The complete piano score was issued in 1920 by Chester and is public domain in the USA. However, the orchestral scores for both the ballet and the suite were not issued until 1924 by Edition Russe [plates RMV 409 (suite), 410 (ballet)]. Because of Stravinsky's citizenship status (Russia-USSR), nothing published was protected in the USA until 1931 (when he applied for French citizenship). That's why you see many of his works from the 1920s with an editor's name listed (Albert Spaulding or Felix Schneider) who had US citizenship. It was an attempt by Edition Russe to claim US protection, which ultimately failed. Kalmus started reprinting the items from the 1920s during their catalog expansion of the 1980s, but had to dump them when the GATT/TRIPs amendments came into force (1996), which allowed "restoration" of most of the Stravinsky works from the 1920s (like the Pulcinella full scores). The "Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act" of 1998 froze the US public domain to items first published in 1922 and before.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I'll just add to Carolus' fine appraisal that this is the same boat into which Histoire du soldat fits, being first published in 1924 but subsequently reprinted by Dover (and subsequently dumped from their catalog after the GATT/TRIPS went into effect).
bryan_dinas

Post by bryan_dinas »

Hi. I am new in the forum but I have a lot of time using the web IMSLP and I read the entire forum for know about the topic.
I want to know if I can upload my own scores of Stravinsky. For example, I have scores of The Rite of Spring, Petrushka, The Three Pieces for Clarinet Solo and many others. There is any way that I can contribute with my scores?
I just want to go back a little bit of help that IMSLP has given me at this time.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

bryan_dinas wrote:Hi. I am new in the forum but I have a lot of time using the web IMSLP and I read the entire forum for know about the topic.
I want to know if I can upload my own scores of Stravinsky. For example, I have scores of The Rite of Spring, Petrushka, The Three Pieces for Clarinet Solo and many others. There is any way that I can contribute with my scores?
I just want to go back a little bit of help that IMSLP has given me at this time.
In short, no. Please see this for more information:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Stravinsky,_Igor
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
finnsa

Post by finnsa »

Just as a note, aside from Afghanistan, another country w/o copyright laws is Laos.
hautboisetcoranglais
regular poster

Post by hautboisetcoranglais »

Has anyone found the russian site?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Russian sites rarely follow copyright laws, for instance you can download Messian's Abyss of the Birds from Russia. Therefore, just because you can find it there doesn't mean it's legal, and therefore it follows that what gets uploaded here will follow the guidelines for this site.
bsteltz
hautboisetcoranglais
regular poster

Post by hautboisetcoranglais »

Got It!
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

As of today, all of the Stravinsky files that are public domain in the US have now been ported over to the US server and linked over with the wiki. Because of this, and due to the suspected unlawful inclusion of some orchestral parts issued by the Orchestral Musicians CD-ROM set, I am removing the links to the archives I once compiled. From now on, please check the Stravinsky category on the wiki to download any of the files and view additional information on the selected compositions. The only remaining pieces to this complete pre-1923 Stravinsky collection that are forthcoming are the complete parts and orchestral score to the 1911 Firebird suite. I hope to have these available in the next month, so check the category page for more info as any new files added through the US server will NOT appear on the Recent Score Additions on the frontpage.

This thread will be un-stickied, but as always, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them in this thread.

Special mention and thanks to Jonathan DePeri for setting up, hosting, and maintaining the IMSLP-US server, and his constant help and support with the wiki markup generator that has proven extremely helpful in getting these files linked into the wiki.

Daphnis
Gorky

Post by Gorky »

Thanks for sharing us good stuff about the Stravinsky files!!! But can anybody tell a little bit about this man? Biography, career....just for my curiosity :D or just share some site where I can find some info about it....
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

bsteltz