Corelli Op. 6 No. 8 "Christmas Concerto"

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Sadza
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Corelli Op. 6 No. 8 "Christmas Concerto"

Post by Sadza »

The current parts up for this work aren't the original and they have a lot of extraneous ornamentation.
Can someone please upload the parts (in particular the Concertino Violin 1 part) to a more original version of the piece (i.e. chamber string orchestra)?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Corelli Op. 6 No. 8 "Christmas Concerto"

Post by vinteuil »

I thought that we had the first edition?
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Corelli Op. 6 No. 8 "Christmas Concerto"

Post by sbeckmesser »

perlnerd666 wrote:I thought that we had the first edition?
Indeed, IMSLP has the first printed edition parts. And I indeed would not recommend the use of either of the two IMSLP sets of modern parts for any performance, as they are filled with dynamic markings and added notes completely unjustified by up-to-date understandings of historical performance practice.

The original parts are quite usable by modern musicians, being in the standard clefs throughout, from what I could see. Only a few 18th century notational conventions have to be learned or ignored. But the cello and bass players may have trouble reading through the figured bass numbers. And there will need to be a continuo realization (hopefully not like the one in the Schering parts, written as it is for a piano). I recommend the original-edition parts highly. They'd make a good exercise for an ensemble -- a taste of precisely what their forbears were reading from.

--Sixtus

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/9 ... i_Op.6.pdf