Tarantella
Tancreda
Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Dohler, Theodor

Post by Eric »

Tarantella op.74 no.1, or a different work? (op.74 as a whole is "Veder Napoli e poi morir! 3 Chansons populaires napolitains. variées.", published by Schlesinger in 1852; will see if I can do anything of course...)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

There is also though a "Tarantelle" opus 39...
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

The more Dohler, the better. Evidently, he was a piano virtuoso to rival Liszt. And like Alkan, he wrote a gigantic set of 12 piano etudes of astounding difficulty. The piano etudes should also make their way onto IMSLP. He died rather young after marrying into the aristocracy.

MS
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

I find three copies of one work (the once popular Nocturne opus 24 in different editions, one revised by the composer according to the score anyway) at LoC, and for myself will look soon and see what I can find elsewhere...
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

A little hint, if you look in the SBB card catalogs:
Its correctly Theodor Döhler, and this gets also the alternate spelling Theodor Doehler (that is the way "Umlaute" are sorted in the cards).
I just checked - there are over 130 catalog card entries for him...
With Dohler you will not find a single entry in any of the German libraries online...

and unfortunately, since he lived 1814-1856, most of his output will be pre1850 and off-limits for do-it-yourself copying...
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Actually, several works by Döhler have already been scanned in by SBB, thanks for the tip. I forgot to check!
Op.9 Variations brillantes (ca 1835)

Op.4 (Variations de concert, ca.1834)

Op.12 (Variations ca.1836) (will check HMB to figure out dates later :) )

So yes, there are three works already scanned in by Berlin StabiKat. Good Kat-ty- er- hush, Eric.
Actually, they have more- just search in the scanning section on Döhler. E.g. several copies of the 6? opus 45 etudes (ca.1839?).
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

though probably not intended for HathiTrust scanning, I see that U MIchigan just got in Döhler's opus 18, with links to other works they have of his, if one wants to get an idea of what a few more of them are. Glad to see those uploads from RSL :)
UMich Still haven't found the Tarentelle, but Döhler collection slightly expanded now with a 1900 edition of one of the etudes from opus 30. ;)