Jan Ladislav Dussek´s and Pleyel´s Piano Method

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

codonauta
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Jan Ladislav Dussek´s and Pleyel´s Piano Method

Post by codonauta »

I am looking for the Piano Method witten by the pianist Jan Ladislav Dussek.
It seems he has more than one. In wikipedia we find, in his name:

- Kleine theoretisch-praktische Klavierschule von Pleyel, Dussek und Cramer (Vienna, T. Haslinger, undated)
- 24 Leçons... de la méthode ... par Pleyel et Dussek (Copenhagen, Hally, undated)

( I don´t know why this "24 Leçons... de la méthode ... par Pleyel et Dussek " doesn´t have the entire title, and has these points ... )

And we see another one:
Dusseks Introduction on the Art of Playing the Pf. or Harpsichord (London, Corri 1797). This one we find at the IMSLP, but is it Dussek the author, or it is Muzio Clementi? Openning the file, it seems a Clementi´s work, I don´t understand why Dussek is related to it.

Well, I know that the piano method I am looking for was a Dussek´s work, but it seems that after some years, the name Pleyel started to appears together, as author too. So, today it is Pleyel-Dussek method , or Dussek-Pleyel method. Complicating a bit more, In one of the titles we find in wikipedia we can see "Cramer" as author too.
Since i have found a lot of ancient piano methods in IMSLP, but not this Pleyel-Dussek´s, I would like to request it.
Thanks
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Jan Ladislav Dussek´s and Pleyel´s Piano Method

Post by kalliwoda »

With a worldcat search you find 2 copies at Basel and Mainz for Pianoforteschule by Dussek, Leipzig: Breitkopf 1803.
Berlin SBB has the 4th edition, and it is interesting that the catalog card says: "translated from the english edition by the author", which is missing in the worldcat entries.
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy
with Plate 2294 this dates from ca.1812.

You would find the english version if you substituted "instructions" for "introduction" (that is the Clementi title...)
and it dates 1796/1797 not from 1803 like the work on IMSLP.
The name Pleyel came with the inclusion of 6 progressive Sonatinas by Pleyel as Vol.2 of the method.
codonauta
regular poster

Post by codonauta »

But that one we find in IMSLP, in the Dussek list of works, is by Clementi or by Dussek? Are the same?
Opening the file it seems a Clementi work.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

The work codonauta refers to is clearly by Clementi, and thus seems to have been placed incorrectly.
codonauta
regular poster

Post by codonauta »

So, we should to say that to one of the IMSLP moderators,
or something like that, I don´t know the name used by them here.

I don´t know how to do that.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

codonauta wrote:I am looking for the Piano Method witten by the pianist Jan Ladislav Dussek.
It seems he has more than one.
I think this is the right one: http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... oforte.pdf
codonauta
regular poster

Post by codonauta »

coulonnus wrote:
codonauta wrote:I am looking for the Piano Method witten by the pianist Jan Ladislav Dussek.
I think this is the right one: http://waltercosand.com/CosandScores/Co ... oforte.pdf
It is there. Thank you.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

There is another one, monochrome, here: http://elibrary.rsl.ru/?menu=s35/elibra ... 7/&lang=en (Russian state library). 4th result when you search Dussek.

It seems there is another set of application pieces at the end.
camaysar

Post by camaysar »

On the subject of Dussek's Method, Howard Allen Craw, who first catalogued Dussek's works, reproduces an 1802 letter by Dussek to Breitkopf & Haertel complaining that Pleyel had published a French and German edition of his Method without authorization. As can be seen from the first link here, the first edition of 1796 did contain additions by Pleyel, but note that the later Braunschweig edition from the Russian link (keep guessing and you'll get to the music) has Pleyel's name before Dussek's in the title!

Dussek's letter includes snide insults directed at Pleyel. :o The letter was published in the December 1802 number of the Allgemeine musikalische Zeitung. It can be found, in German, on page 132 of Craw's biography (part 1 of his dissertation/study).
Gradski

Post by Gradski »

codonauta wrote:
coulonnus wrote:
It is there. Thank you.
I say thank you too. I am looking for a long time now for that and finaly Ive found it. :)