Sinding Piano Trio No.2, Op.64

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Sinding Piano Trio No.2, Op.64

Post by WilliamBunting »

This work, now on IMSLP and published in 1902, is listed for violin, cello and piano in the Peters catalog 1906 supplement, but for violin, viola and piano in the SBB catalog (card 60151). Has anyone seen a viola part?
Regards WB
jossuk
active poster

Re: Sinding Piano Trio No.2, Op.64

Post by jossuk »

But the piano trio posted as #2 is listed as Op. 70, which opus number, I believe, belongs to Sinding's A minor string quartet.
Also, the piano trio (Op. 64?) doesn't seem to show up under a simple search of Sinding's works in IMSLP, although one can eventually
get there via a Google link. Lastly, in spite of the publication date, the piece posted seems currently unavailable to U.S. computers.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The page has now been moved to what is probably the correct opus number, 64a (64b is given to another work that we already have). The reason it was blocked (to everyone, incidentally) was because it had not yet gone through the copyright review process, though it should now be generally accessible. Finally, according to our own worklist the original is for violin, viola, and piano, so I've gone ahead and changed the instrumentation to that (and tagged accordingly).
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Now this is getting interesting.
First, thanks for unblocking the piece.
Second, it is still not visible on Sinding's composer page; only Piano Trio #3 is there.
Third, of the various recordings and World Cat entries I have checked (including the Edition Silvertrust release of the parts), there is not one of these that indicates viola instead of cello. I presume SBB means the Berlin Library, but I found no piano trio listed there under his name. I'm not familiar with that library's search procedures, so I wasn't able to follow the card number that William gave.

My sense is that any SBB listing for viola instead of cello would seem be the single non-IMLSP exception to every other listing for cello, all of which would argue for a local data entry error.

I'm sure everyone would like to get this right, and I'm certainly willing to be convinced that the trio was originally written for viola rather than cello. Suggestions?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Well, the reason it wasn't appearing in the composer page is because of the site's caching - for logged-out users, composer pages take up to 3 days to fully update. I've purged the page's cache, so it should appear for everyone now.
I'm fully willing to believe that the worklist is incorrect, though it was largely created by Davydov in its current form and I tend to trust his accuracy; I did no research whatsoever aside from looking at it, so I'm perfectly open to changing the workpage if more evidence is found.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

The relevant SBB card can be found here
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... 1&cop=:osy
and being familiar with the abbreviations used I think WB simply was mistaken. It's for Piano, Viol. (=violin) and violc (=violoncello).
If you want direct proof, I can have a look at it in a few days...

:? .... oh no, not another viol thread :?
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I entirely agree with kalliwoda, and thanks for finding that SBB entry. I've never seen violoncello abbreviated that way, and am not surprised that it was misread.

And now, does anyone have any ideas about Opus 64 having been assigned to two different pieces by the original publishers?
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

jossuk wrote:I entirely agree with kalliwoda, and thanks for finding that SBB entry. I've never seen violoncello abbreviated that way, and am not surprised that it was misread.

And now, does anyone have any ideas about Opus 64 having been assigned to two different pieces by the original publishers?
Thanks for the correction, Kalliwoda. My mistake entirely. A case of seeing what you want to see, I'm afraid. My expectation was aroused by seeing Op 64b listed as v va p in IMSLP's Sinding work list. I've been collecting va va p trios for a long time, and even scanned one (Kreuz Op.21) for Merton and IMSLP, and was surprised to see this reference.

The other Op.64 was assigned to a collection of Sinding songs published by Hansen in Copenhagen. It seems as though though the two publishers didn't co-ordinate properly.

Regards, WB
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Thanks to all, that was well worth the effort. Just a bit of cleanup left changing all the current viola references to cello.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

jossuk wrote:Thanks to all, that was well worth the effort. Just a bit of cleanup left changing all the current viola references to cello.
Everything's been changed to vn-vc-pf now, on both the workpage and the worklist.