Old Eulenburg Wagner complete opera scores

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

musicologyman
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Old Eulenburg Wagner complete opera scores

Post by musicologyman »

With the possible exception of Lohengrin, I haven't seen any of the old Eulenburg Wagner opera scores on IMSLP.org. (The score of Lohengrin I'm referring to was published by Breitkopf and republished by Universal. It appears to have been originally published as a miniature score, and I suspect [though I don't know for sure] that it may have been used for the original Eulenburg miniature score).

Anyway, I'd very much like to see those scores on IMSLP, not least because I think they'd be more readable on an iPad or other similarly sized tablet than the large scores--at least more readable for those of us who have middle-aged eyes.

musicologyman
musicologyman
sbeckmesser
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Old Eulenburg Wagner complete opera scores

Post by sbeckmesser »

As a possessor of a few of these editions (which are still available, despite the textual superiority of the new Wagner Edition scores that Eulenburg also publishes), they would be a real pain to scan without disassembling the bindings. The thickness of the volumes means "gutter" shadows and focus would be problems. And then there's the page count. Both Meistersinger and Gotterdammerung themselves come in 2 volumes. I'll let somebody else do the dirty work.

--Sixtus
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Old Eulenburg Wagner complete opera scores

Post by daphnis »

I think I'll pass as well. Scanning the entire Ring from large-format scores meant beating them into submission on the scanner glass which has since given me Wagner fatigue.