“The Mysterious Axman’s Jazz (Don’t Scare Me Papa).” Joseph

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

ElviraBlythe
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

“The Mysterious Axman’s Jazz (Don’t Scare Me Papa).” Joseph

Post by ElviraBlythe »

I am interested in learning more about “The Mysterious Axman’s Jazz (Don’t Scare Me Papa).” Joseph John Davilla, composer, New Orleans: World’s Music Publishing Company, 1919 (2008.0052)

The New Orleans Historical Society has a copy and I have asked them where I can find a copy or a digital copy. I believe that it is public domain but I can't seem to find anything more than the cover anywhere online. I wouldn't even mind shelling out some money for a copy, but I can't find one.

If anyone has an idea of where I can track down the score or a recording or anything please let me know!
Starrmark
active poster

Re: “The Mysterious Axman’s Jazz (Don’t Scare Me Papa).” Jo

Post by Starrmark »

Hello Elvira,

I have a photocopy of the music of Joseph John Davilla's "The Mysterious Axman’s Jazz (Don’t Scare Me Papa).” [The comic cover has been reproduced in several books.] Moreover, I have undertaken exhaustive research on the New Orleans Axman serial murders to which the song refers. If you would like to contact me privately with your questions, you can email me thru IMSLP.

I don't know whether the New Orleans Historical Society's copy is a published print or a photocopy, like mine. I am aware of only one extant original of this song -- and it's not one held by the NOHS. That is not to say the NOHS does not have an original. I do not know what they have.

Best wishes,
Mark Starr
ElviraBlythe

Post by ElviraBlythe »

Thank you so much! I actually was able to get ahold of someone there and they are sending me a copy! If I have more questions as this goes on I will definitely contact you.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

I'd like to remind you that IMSLP and these forums are not intended to facilitate private exchange of music scores. Please upload this score so that others can benefit. The score was published in 1919 and Davilla died in 1957, so there shouldn't be any copyright problems with it in US and Canada.

Max