FAE sonata by Schumann Brahms Dietrich-collaborative work

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Jacqui2343
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

FAE sonata by Schumann Brahms Dietrich-collaborative work

Post by Jacqui2343 »

Hi
I am looking for the FAE sonata,m the intermezzo ( in particular) movement. The intermezzo is written by Schumann.

It was written for violin and piano with the number WoO22, and there is a version for cello and piano too--really beautiful

THanks!

Jacqui2343
seph702
regular poster

Re: FAE sonata by Schumann Brahms Dietrich-collaborative wor

Post by seph702 »

While I'm not a copyright expert, I believe the Intermezzo wasn't published until 1935, unlike Brahms' movement which was published earlier. Therefore, the Intermezzo would certainly not be in the public domain at least in the United States. I don't know about Canada.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

The 1935 is an urtext edition edited by Erich Valentin (1906-1993) and Otto Kobin (b.1895). It's free in Canada and the EU due to their urtext provisions, and may be in the US depending on whether it has a valid copyright notice or not. Many urtext editions didn't bother to put a notice, which until 1989 was enough to release it into the PD on publication. I'd have to look at the score to find that out, but there's no question it can be uploaded.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

It's free in the USA also. It's presently available for sale as a reprint from Masters, catalog M2687.