Seeking author/score for reduction of Liebestod

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

homerwsmith
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Seeking author/score for reduction of Liebestod

Post by homerwsmith »

Am seeking the author and score for the following instrumental rendition of Wagner's Liebestod from Tristan and Isolde.

It was heard and recorded from a radio station in the 1980's along with other popular soft instrumental music.

ftp://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/homer/unknown/tandi.mp3

Am offering $100 to the first person who can lead me to this successfully.

Homer Smith
CEO Lightlink Internet
607 227 5465 homerwsmith@lightlink.com
jen_alyce

Re: Seeking author/score for reduction of Liebestod

Post by jen_alyce »

Hi Homer,

I believe this is the version Wagner himself arranged. Kalmus publish an edition of this work: http://kalmus-music.com I'm not sure if the publication is PD. I have seen other versions and arrangements available for hire-only through Breitkopf and Ricordi. I have a Kalmus score but I think the edition is still protected by copyright so I can't upload it, sorry!

Cheers,
Jen
Starrmark
active poster

Post by Starrmark »

Surely, Jen_alyce, you didn't listen to Homer's MP3 from start to finish before submitting your answer. Wagner never touched this dreck -- replete with Liebstod à la Foxtrot and a Hollywood piano concerto treatment of the interminable crescendo. Particularly repulsive are the double octaves in the solo piano, straight out of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto, leading up to the orchestral orgasm.

This sounds like the sort of thing Franz Waxman and Dmitri Tiomkin used to do in black and white Bette Davis or Ingrid Bergman movies. Actually, my apologies to Waxman. You can hear his arrangement of Tristan for solo violin, solo piano and orchestra on YouTube -- and it is far better than this hatchet job. [Tiomkin was the composer who, upon receiving an Oscar for 'High Noon,' said to the Academy: "For this award, I would like to thank Tchaikovsky, Rachmanninov, Liszt, Wagner, ..."

Homer, save your $100. Better yet, you could donate it to IMSLP.

MS
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Starmark's thorough repulsion notwithstanding, this sounds like something that was produced for a very specific service or purpose and then promptly buried. I be surprised if this was ever commercially available in any form.
jen_alyce

Post by jen_alyce »

Oh my goodness sorry I am so very mistaken! I shouldn't multi-task so much!