Scarlatti sonatas

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

basilmusic
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Scarlatti sonatas

Post by basilmusic »

These appear to be complete in the Kirkpatrick edition but I can't find Nos.177-200. Have they been lost somewhere or has no one posted them on? Brian Astell
jossuk
active poster

Re: Scarlatti sonatas

Post by jossuk »

There may be some confusion here. I believe there are only 60 sonatas in the pubished KIrkpatrick edition, as opposed to the 555 sonatas listed in his catalogue. So far as I can see, all of the sonatas posted at IMSLP are edited or typeset by individuals other than Kirkpatrick.
basilmusic

Post by basilmusic »

This is strange. Just yesterday I was able to access nearly all the Keyboard sonatas edited by Kirkpatrick = 555 all told, grouped in several parts, but today this seems to have disappeared! In reply to earlier comment I am sure Kirkpatrick edited all 555. Still doesn't explain absence of missing sonatas 177-200. :? :?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The Domenico Scarlatti category page has more than 150 individual sonatas, all listed by Kirkpatrick number. These pages consist of arrangements for the most part. There are also pages in the collections section (beneath the main category) for all 555 sonatas. These are not the actual Kirkpatrick editions, but mostly new typesets of the sonatas by various contributors. Only a portion of the 555 sonatas are found there.
worov
forum adept

Post by worov »

Kirkpatrick's editions are copyrighted anyway. He died in 1984.

There are only two complete editions. The Longo edition, but it's full of errors. And there's the Kenneth Gilbert (Heugel). I'm wondering about the Gilbert edition. Would the urtext rule apply on this one ?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Urtext applies if the editor added nothing original of his own. No fingerings, dynamics, articulations, slurs, etc. of his own. Adding them from other public domain sources does not count. There is a good chance that both the Gilbert and Kirkpatrick would qualify as urtext, which is not the case for Longo - who added all manner of things.