Hans Rott Symphony in E

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Big Al72
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Hans Rott Symphony in E

Post by Big Al72 »

It's a great piece. A score is available from a German publisher. I'm not certain about the copyright, though. It was written before 1884, when Rott died, but the score was only published fairly recently. I'm actually a law student and I've taken copyright, but I don't really know whether it's in the public domain here (USA) or anywhere else. Copyright wasn't really my subject. Anyway, if it's in the public domain and someone can put it up, great!
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

If it is published only recently, it is highly likely it will still be (c).
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

Don't only rely on (c) date, as there is a lot of copyfraud going on, placing new copyright notices on pure reprints. However, to answer your question, a worldcat search learns there is probably only one edition by Ries & Erler 2003. If it's (probably) the first edition, it will be protected until 2029, assuming there will be no significant editorial additions.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

Peter's quite correct that the work will be protected to 2029. That is case for the EU, and perhaps some other countries who adhere to the Editio Princeps principle. In Canada, it's protected until 2054. The US situation is more complicated, since it was issued only in 2003 - the very year all unpublished works of authors dead more than 70 years entered the US public domain. Since the 2003 score presumably has an editor credited, it would theoretically be protected for the editor's life plus 70 years. That would not preclude a US publisher bringing out their own edition, however.

There is no Editio Princeps provision in US Copyright. Unpublished works of authors dead more than 70 years can only be protected as editions - derivative works. If Ries & Erler would have issued the score a year earlier, the work itself would have been under copyright until 1/1/2048. This is due to the transition between the older system of Common Law (perpetual copyright) for unpublished works and Statutory Law (Limited term copyright) for published works and the single Statutory system now in place.
Big Al72

Post by Big Al72 »

Thanks for the information!