"Wishlist" of not so well known composers

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

bkbl08

"Wishlist" of not so well known composers

Post by bkbl08 »

ok i think we need a lot more of Vivaldi, mainly his concertos since he wrote over 500 of them if im not mistaken. Another composer we need more is Myslivecek, however, i know works by this one are difficult to find but i think that they would make a good contribution to imslp. Another biggie we need is Shostakovich. Other people i think we need more of is Cimarosa, Fasch, Zavateri, Seitz (please please please that would be wonderful), Pleyel, Boccherini, John Field, and Soler. Also, i forgot to mention, i think more of F.J. Haydn's symphonies would be a fabulous addition to the site along with some works by Rameau and Milhaud.
Melodia
active poster

Re: "Wishlist" of not so well known composers

Post by Melodia »

I was actually thinking about Vivaldi the other day, and I wonder if perhaps much of his output (that is, 450 or so pieces that was discovered in Turin in 1926) is simply not PD in the US or possibily other countries.

Still, anything with an Op. number -- including La Straviganza, L'esto D'Armonico, and so on, should have PD versions available.
bkbl08

Post by bkbl08 »

true but i think even the scores for Op.3 arent complete, as in all of the concertos havent been uploaded yet. hopefully soon some will be uploaded :D
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Another biggie we need is Shostakovich
Shostakovich very much still in copyright and will not be on IMSLP for a very long time.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

Same with Milhaud.
bkbl08

Post by bkbl08 »

drat ill wait i guess lol theres nothing else i can do.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

We should ask Eleanor Selfridge-Field over at CCARH for their versions of Vivaldi's Opus 3 and Opus 8. The former opus number (L'estro armonico) has long been available thanks again to Dover, and both collections are wonderful pieces of work.

PML
--
PML (talk)
Grandenorm

Post by Grandenorm »

How do I add the name of a composer whose work is not represented on IMSLP to the wishlist? I'm looking for scores of works by the 19th/20th century Hungarian composr, Jakob Julius Major.
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

Melodia wrote:I was actually thinking about Vivaldi the other day, and I wonder if perhaps much of his output (that is, 450 or so pieces that was discovered in Turin in 1926) is simply not PD in the US or possibily other countries.
I truly hope that's *not* the case. I realize someone had to do some editing to get the scores ready for publication, but the man's been dead for quite some time.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I have some Fasch, but it's newly edited and arranged *groan*. Also, I wish we had some more of Jan Dismas Zelenka, now there's an underappreciated composer. If I had anything by him, I'd make scanning that my primary project for this site. But alas...
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

Some of the best places to find PD material of lesser-known composers are the huge musicological editions begun in the late 19th century. Examples of these include Denkmäler der Tonkunst in Österreich (DTO), or Denkmäler deutscher Tonkunst (DDT). The early volumes of both series are public domain worldwide, many of the later ones would be PD in many areas. Many scores already at IMSLP originate directly, or through derivative editions, from these sources. IMSLP should make it a goal to post all of the PD volumes of these editions. The only problem from a practical standpoint is that these are musicological editions and have no added aides to performance, such as fingerings, separate parts, realized continuo etc. From the acquisition standpoint, these volumes are most commonly found in large research libraries.

The historical importance of these editions can be gleaned here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5wMZeB ... ch&f=false

--Sixtus

PS: Because interest in Vivaldi is largely a post-WWII phenomenon, most of the musically reliable publications of his music are relatively recent and, since they also are critical editions, would not be PD in many areas. Earlier, possibly-PD Vivaldi scores from Ricordi, for example, are positively dripping with added dynamics and the like. The best inexpensive Vivaldi editions are the ones published by Dover but these are all full scores. You can get parts to some of them here:

http://scores.ccarh.org/