List of Pieces with Russian Nationalism

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

List of Pieces with Russian Nationalism

Post by allegroamabile »

I decided to conduct a list featuring pieces that contain thorough aspects of Russian nationalism (very Slav in nature). I have listed ones I know and considered and I kindly ask you to contribute. I ask for you to not list any Tchaikovsky, mainly because he was not considered one of The Mighty Five (although there were composers who were nationalistic who were not in The Five).

Mily Balakirev: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 2; Mazurkas Nos. 1 & 5; Russia, a symphonic poem; Islamey

Alexander Borodin: Overture to Prince Igor; In the Steppes of Central Asia; Polovtsian Dances; Symphony No. 2 (last movement)

Alexander Glazunov: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 4, 5 (second movement); Marriage March; March on a Russian Theme, Op. 76; Stenka Razin; Serenade No. 1; Spring, a symphonic picture; Une fete slave; Cortege solennel; Suite caracteristique; The Kremlin; Mazurka, Op. 18

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: Sinfonietta on Russian Themes; Greeting for Glazunov; Piano Concerto; Christmas Eve; Sinfonietta on Russian Themes
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: List of Pieces with Russian Nationalism

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Everything in the soviet era: Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Khachaturian... etc.

I really don't see the point of a list that ignores a very nationalistic composer just because he isn't of an extremely select few... Especially Slav March.
Niels
regular poster

Post by Niels »

Wikipedia said Rachmaninoff's prelude in g minor was nationalistic, but Rachmaninoff did not compose many nationalistic pieces.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Because of the borrowed tunes, Tchaikovsky's Slavonic March is as much Serbian as Russian, if not more so.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Agreed, but it is still a nationalistic piece - so is 1812, regardless of its French tunes.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

So you would consider Shostakovich's The Fall of Berlin and March of the Soviet Militia and Prokofiev's Hail to Stalin as Russian nationalism. I was really looking for the music of that one particular 19th century school but I will expand it a little.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Who do you think started Russian nationalism: Glinka or Balakirev?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Glinka.

This kind of list totally belongs on IMSLP - see my user pages for others (B-A-C-H, Orpheus, Faust, Paganini variations, etc.)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Wait, which syllables do you stress on the name Balakirev and how do you exactly pronounce Cui?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Well, I'm sure someone else can correct me on this, but I'm pretty sure it's Ba la ki' rev, and Cui is pronounced 'kwee'. Or 'kuee', a little more like French.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Both of the names "Balakirev" (?????????) and "Cui" (???, Kjui) are stressed on the second syllable:
  • Ba-LA-ki-rev
    Kju-I
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

So you would consider Shostakovich's The Fall of Berlin and March of the Soviet Militia and Prokofiev's Hail to Stalin as Russian nationalism.
Yes. Volkov is BS. That said, I'm not saying that Shostakovich loved Stalin any more than not everyone love Obama. Are those critical of of Obama dissidents?
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I could not quite understand what you just said, Yagan, could you clarify that?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Lyle Neff wrote:Both of the names "Balakirev" (?????????) and "Cui" (???, Kjui) are stressed on the second syllable:
  • Ba-LA-ki-rev
    Kju-I
I should have clarified that Cui's name has two syllables, so it's not pronounced anything like "kwee." (According to Gerald Abraham's article about Cui's opera William Ratcliff, the surname at had earlier been spelled "Queuille.")
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Lyle Neff wrote:
Lyle Neff wrote:Both of the names "Balakirev" (?????????) and "Cui" (???, Kjui) are stressed on the second syllable:
  • Ba-LA-ki-rev
    Kju-I
I should have clarified that Cui's name has two syllables, so it's not pronounced anything like "kwee." (According to Gerald Abraham's article about Cui's opera William Ratcliff, the French surname at had earlier been spelled "Queuille.")