General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

angels we have heard on high

Post by steltz »

The recently uploaded "Angels we have heard on high" has the composer listed as "Christian Hymn". I doubt Mr. Hymn is a human being, though. :lol:

This is an English translation of a French carol. A guy named Edward Shippen Barnes set it to a hymn tune called "Gloria", but I don't know if he himself wrote the Gloria, or whether he took it from another source. There is another version by a guy named Marlatt, but this particular download looks to be the Barnes one.

The history can be found at Wikipedia and:
http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.co ... high_1.htm

The composer needs to be either Anonymous, or Edward Shippen Barnes, but not Christian Hymn. From the edit page, I can't change this.

Can a moderator help, please?
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: angels we have heard on high

Post by KGill »

I'd go with Anonymous, since there seems to be some ambiguity about the source of the tune, and that's probably where someone would look for a carol anyway (well, I would at least). To move a work page to another composer: You note that at the end of the name of every work page, there's a name in parentheses. When you move a page, if you change that name instead of the main title, it will put it under another composer category. So in this case, just replace 'Christian Hymn' with 'Anonymous'. (Usually, there's a comma separating the first and last names, so a more general example would be, say, 'Mussorgsky, Modest Petrovich' -> 'Ravel, Maurice'.)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

In the meantime, the file had been removed, probably by a CR. Barnes died in 1958, so although this would be PD in Canada and other 50-year countries, it might not be PD in the US, so I would guess this would be the reason for the removal.
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Just to add that I removed the file and associated pages at the contributor's request.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Apparently the Barnes arrangement first appeared in The New Church Hymnal, published in 1937 by F.H. Revell Co. in the USA. It is entirely possible, even likely, that Barnes' arrangement is still under copyright in the USA and in the EU.