Misprints in Bach Cantata BWV 208

Moderator: kcleung

phonomet
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Misprints in Bach Cantata BWV 208

Post by phonomet »

Hi, I'm new. I was just doing an arrangement of the Aria "Sheep may safely graze" and noticed that the flute parts are written in treble clef but incorrectly placed a third lower (as if they were in bass clef). This perhaps does not warrant a new topic. Is there a place in the score library to post these kinds of things? Thank you! Phonomet.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Misprints in Bach Cantata BWV 208

Post by vinteuil »

Not misprints...transpositions. Very hard to read...but fun when you can show it off! This is the only example I can find of the treble clef in that position.
But definitely not misprints - look at the harmonies.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
sbeckmesser
active poster

Post by sbeckmesser »

The "flutes" in question are actually a pair of recorders, which is what Bach and many other composers of his era mean when they specify "flauto." Bach writes "traverso" or "flauto traverso" when he wants a flute (e.g. B-minor Mass). BWV208 is supposed to be bucolic, after all, with the arcadian feeling here enhanced by the use of recorders, instruments not as "refined" and courtly as flutes.

--Sixtus

PS: BWV208 is not a sacred cantata, but more like a laudatory mini-opera, and the shepherd referred to in the aria is not a religious metaphor but definitely a secular person -- specificially, Duke Christian von Sachsen-Weissenfels. It was composed for and first performed after an actual hunting party celebrating his birthday (23 FEB 1716).
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

G1 clefs are sometimes used in the Baroque for recorders, violino piccolo, etc. I’ve seen them notated by Charpentier as well as Bach, though the G2 clef is more the norm. Not a mistake at all (and not strictly a transposition, Sir Perlnerd!), it meant JSB didn't have to write as many leger lines above the stave. 8)

Now, if you really want an unusual clef, the Pierre de la Rue requiem on IMSLP shows the original MS used a ?, or Gamma clef. (Remember where the term "gamut" comes from? :mrgreen: )

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
phonomet

Post by phonomet »

Thanks for these helpful and kind comments. I thought that a G clef was a G clef-- indeed, the harmonies made me think there was a misprint. Also thanks for the interesting background information sbeckmesser!
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

It IS a G clef, it's just the location of the G that's moved (similarly, a bass clef is an F clef, and an alto/tenor clef is a C clef)
phonomet

Post by phonomet »

Melodia, thanks for clarifying pml's observation. I just noticed the lower curve of the clef straddles the bottom line of the staff.