General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Sorting worklists by composer

Post by kalliwoda »

At the moment the automatically generated worklists (if you click on lets say "For 2 violins, viola, cello")
list the workpages alphabetically according to work title, so all string quartets No.1 together...

Would it be possible to introduce the option to also list the works according to the composer (i.e. according to the first letter in the brackets)?
pml
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Sorting worklists by composer

Post by pml »

Yes, by including the appropriate category tag on each page that you wish to have sorted in this way; it will be of the form [[Category:the category that you want sorting for, e.g. string quartets|composer surname]]

You shouldn't use the Mediawiki {{DEFAULTSORT:sort key}} magic word for this, as it will sort the page by the composer's surname in every category; however there are some instances in which altering the default sort key is desirable (e.g. the 107 Haydn symphonies in order that they sort properly).

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Sorting worklists by composer

Post by kalliwoda »

Thanks for trying to come up with an answer, but I believe I may have been somewhat misunderstood, but also lack the knowledge to implement your suggestion: Where would this parameter change be entered?
Would your fix enable me to change a existing category page, but then all other users also would have to view it with the changed sort parameters(?).
For the automatically from the new tags generated lists this is not possible, at least for the moment.

What I was asking about would be a simple option button, every user could use to open the category page sorted by composer surname instead of title (string quartets being an obvious category where this might be useful). This may be implemented by a second category page with changed sort parameters - not sure if I would have the privileges to do something like that...

If you use the category walker, you get a table of works by composer, sorted by number of works - which is not exactly the same and not that obvious to non-expert users.