Dream Of Gerontius - Timpani Part

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

wburgess
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dream Of Gerontius - Timpani Part

Post by wburgess »

Hello,

Looking for the timpani part from Elgar's Dream of Gerontius. Unfortunately i'm really struggling finding this one and have lost my previous copy!

Hope someone can help.

Will
wburgess

Re: Dream Of Gerontius - Timpani Part

Post by wburgess »

Hi again,

I know it was a long shot for someone to have the parts but failing that, could someone advise me on the best course of action to get hold of it?

I realise there are online purchase options, but I grate at paying $15 for it!

Regards,

Will
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

One question that occurs, is it worth $15 of your time to transcribe it yourself from the full score?

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
wburgess

Post by wburgess »

Very true, and I'm often writing parts from scores that I may not have.

But I find that when trying to quickly learn a work for an important concert, it is important to use the original to get used to the geography of the notation and the grouping of the bars rests etc...

Also the copies I have found online are copies of the actual part.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Extra parts are $16/ea. from Kalmus online. If it isn't in the orchestral parts already uploaded, my advice is to spend the money and add a crucial piece of repertoire to your library. Then scan it and upload it here :)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Bear in mind there is already parts for the other instrumentation available, so you could use those to help in the process, e.g. you don't need to count and aggregate multi-bar rests from scratch, if the low brass are tacet for as long as the timps are, then you can "adapt the geography" to the particular terrain :)
--
PML (talk)
wburgess

Post by wburgess »

I think I can summarise my points by saying there is nothing like having the actual part.

Also, I can't see any other parts on the Gerontius page... am I missing somthing? Only the vocal scores, and organ/piano transcriptions.

And unfortunately the lower brass have no where near as much material as the timpani do, thats why they always moan about doing it (I personally think it's Elgar's finest work... but thats another debate completely!)