Reicha WW quintet op 88 #2

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

AnnD
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Reicha WW quintet op 88 #2

Post by AnnD »

My oboe teacher has asked me to track down an older version of the Reicha woodwind quintet op 88#2 in E-flat. I see that imslp has #1 and #3, but no #2. Anybody know why this is? I can't seem to find this elsewhere either. The international Double Reed Society has a modern version available, but he's hoping to find the same version he played years ago.
Any help appreciated.
Ann D.
steltz
active poster

Re: Reicha WW quintet op 88 #2

Post by steltz »

WorldCat is showing two editions that would be public domain. The first is the full set of 6 in the op.88, by Simrock [18--?]. The other is a Leuckart edition of no.2 on its own [1937]. I though the Kneusslin might be PD, but it seems not.
bsteltz
AnnD

Post by AnnD »

Thanks for the reply!
How does one go about requesting copies of these pieces from the libraries that hold them, and how willing are they to send scans or copies by mail or email? Does one call or send an email and how for the best, or is there a way that will better yield successful results?
Thanks-
Ann
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sometimes libraries are not willing to scan. Sometimes they feel that even though a piece is PD, they own a copyright on the scan, which isn't really true. More often, they just aren't set up to scan, don't have equipment, and can't spare the staff to take time to do it.

Requesting score in this forum sometimes helps, but a lot of times it's just luck whether anyone who is capable of scanning and uploading has specifically what you're looking for. So sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't.

If the version you are looking for is the one that is about 15 minutes long, you can buy the Leuckartiana (Thomi-Berg) edition at Sheet Music Plus for $25.95.
bsteltz
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Parts from the 1820's Simrock edition will be uploaded in a few days - have just to finish cleaning the bassoon part, the others are done. The 1937 Leuckart edition has at least one large editorial cut, but if you are really interested I could get hold of a copy and upload it.

If you live in the US, you also would have the option to get newer editions by interlibrary loan - ask at your local public library.
The Simrock editions (1820s) are nowadays "rara" and libraries will either send you microfilm or scans, but this will usually cost about 50c per page (and some libraries may charge much more). So it is a little expensive, if decent modern editions are available. I am just very lucky, that I was able to take out the originals decades ago and make decent photocopies (The library was just missing No. 1 and 4)...
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The Leuckart edition is the one I think I've played, and in fact, I think it is the most often recorded (+-15 min. long).

@Kalliwoda -- do you happen to know where that cut came from? I'm very interested to see the Simrock to compare it.
bsteltz
AnnD

Post by AnnD »

Kalliwoda-
Thank you so much! My teacher will be very happy. He'd better be or I'll curse all his reeds. Oh wait-they are accursed anyway, aren't they?!
I would really appreciate the Leuckart. Do they all have that cut, or just the particular one that's available to you?
I'll try to get one here and compare.
Again, I really appreciate your uploading the Simrock.
Ann D
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Parts of the Simrock edition are up now.

The cuts in the edition of op.88 No.2 by Günther Weigelt (Leuckart 1937):
1. movt. cuts 135-175, 202-222
2. movt. Menuetto renamed Scherzo, part 2 repeats in Menuetto and Trio I plus da capo omitted, in the Coda cut 57-64
3. movt. all repeats omitted, cuts 56-181, 205-216
4. movt. cut 74-241.

No wonder you remember a 15 min. piece, and the complete recordings run 25 min.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@AnnD -- if your teacher specifically wants the short one, take the parts generously uploaded by Kalliwoda, make notes of the cuts he has taken the trouble to find, mark them in, and you'll all get to the pub early. :lol:
bsteltz
AnnD

Post by AnnD »

Thanks so much-
I was just going to ask about that!
I just asked for the other edition through our Inter-library loan and was told it would be 4-8 weeks. Ouch!
Thanks so much for everybody's help. I hope to return the favor someday.
Ann D
AnnD

Post by AnnD »

Hi All who posted parts etc-
I got the Leuckart version through Interlibrary Loan, and they actually sent the music and not copies, so I will find out about what's required for the scanning (resolution etc) and send it in when I can. This was the edition my teacher was looking for. They decided in the recital to go with the longer version, due to the requirement to fill more time.
Thanks for all help.
Ann