Spohr: Potpourri op. 80

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

Geo[Hawaii]

Spohr: Potpourri op. 80

Post by Geo[Hawaii] »

Anyone know about
Ludwig Spohr: Potpourri op. 80 in F Major for clarinet and orchestra?
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Spohr: Potpourri op. 80

Post by kalliwoda »

New Edition by Musica rara 1996 (now Breitkopf&Härtel). Orchestral material (score & parts) is rental only.
KVK (http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/kvk.html) shows the 1830 Schlesinger set of parts at Berlin UdK and at Frankfurt UB.
That may be your best bet, they just started some digitizations - http://www.ub.uni-frankfurt.de/musik/musik_en.html
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

There have actually be two Musica Rara editions of this since the Schlesinger first edition. The Musica Rara edition by Maurice Powell was first published in 1973, which means it could be uploaded if someone had it. It would be available on the EU server only. There are also several libraries in the US that have the Schlesinger first edition as well.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Actually, these seem all to be the piano reduction, i.e. the Musica rara, and the Schlesinger in several US libraries...

Daphnis, worldcat shows for me 2 entries for the Frankfurt parts /piano reduction spelled slightly differently, then an entry for the Schlesinger Piano reduction with 6 US libraries listed, and finally an entry for the orchestral parts marked "no library holding this title could be identified", which is strange because of the detailed description. Do you see libraries holding parts for this entry?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

My mistake, I was referring to the piano reduction. Sorry!
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

I may have missed it, butI don't see anything other than clarinet/piano reduction for sale via Musica Rara. Another German publisher, Artivo-Musikverlag, has apparently reconstructed the score and orchestral parts from the still extant clarinet/piano edition. (Their site says the originals are lost.) The reconstructed version is rental. Any other mention of "orchestra" in library editions (worldcat) seems to reflect the original title, but all of those editions, according to page count and description, are clearly the clarinet/piano version.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

There are no parts for sale, I thought I had found it in the Breitkopf rental catalog, but I may have been mistaken. But you can inquire about copies/scans of the old prints in Frankfurt: They have a pricelist with 40 cents per page, minimum charge 4 euro..., photocopies A3 are 50 cents each, plus postage.

Worldcat can sometimes be strange - there are some US libraries like Sibley and Curtis that seem to be blocked from Germany...
For me the parts at Frankfurt ULB have in Worldcat the OCLC Number:179758682
In the HEBIS Katalog via the KVK I get the following:

PPN: 130319317
Titel: Potpourri sur des thêmes de Winter [Musikdruck] : pour la clarinette avec accompagnement de l'orchestre ou de piano-forte ; oeuv. 80 / composé par Louis Spohr
Autor: Spohr, Louis
Ausgabe: [Ausg. mit Orch.,] Stimmen
Erschienen: Berlin : Schlesinger, [ca. 1830]
Umfang: 14 St.
Einheitssachtitel: Potpourri, op. 80
Druckpl.-Nr.: 1573
Frankfurt, Universitätsbibliothek Joh. Chr. Senckenberg Mus. pr. Q 18/2162
You can inquire about copies/scans of the old prints: They have a pricelist with 40 cents per page, minimum charge 4 euro..., photocopies A3 are 50 cents each, plus postage.

Artivo Verlag may just have looked in the SBB catalog (there it is listed as lost) and not checked in other libraries - the digital catalogs are not that long online - but more importantly, a reconstruction is under full copyright for the arranger! There is another set at the Berlin UdK, but they are sometimes cumbersome to deal with for copies.