Scores, scores, score, but no books.

Moderator: kcleung

franhur

Scores, scores, score, but no books.

Post by franhur »

I think it is really good for all of us, to have this magnificent repertoire of musical scores, but it would also be great to have books, that is theory, Harmony, Counterpoint, Biographies, History, etc.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Have you tried this? :)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

That said, we need more. Rimsky-Korsakov orchestration would be nice.
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

I remember having seen Berlioz's orchestration book on Distributed Proofreaders on Gutenberg, but aparently it isn't online yet. Maybe google books.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The Berlioz edited by Strauss is on IMSLP. It is a poor scan however.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

How does PG deal with the music part of it though?
Peter
Site Admin

Post by Peter »

Hmm don't know what their consensus is know. I remember them having a lot of discussion of using some on-line lilypond editor or just an image of the fragment.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Would the link that imslp provided (http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Books) be suitable for public-domain PDF texts of operas/oratorios/cantatas/song cycles, etc., or would a separate category-page be better?

(Naturally, I'm thinking the latter... :wink: )
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

I'll side with Lyle on this one. I think a separate "Libretti" category would be better than lumping them in with orchestration books, etc. I will be getting a better scan of the Berlioz/Strauss before too long, hopefully. The present scan is a fairly rough one, to be sure.
jsnfmn
forum adept

Post by jsnfmn »

Yagan Kiely wrote:That said, we need more. Rimsky-Korsakov orchestration would be nice.
Until someone scans this, check this page out:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=77

It includes the full text in the context of a web forum, along with all of Rimsky's examples as rendered by Garritan's orchestral samples. Some videos too, fun stuff, if not as helpful as a real orchestra playing the examples.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Thanks, Carolus!

I just created a category: Category:Libretti.

How does one add works and/or files so that they will show up on that page? :shock:
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

As much as it pains me to say this, I would prefer if the pages are categorized under "Books" for the time being. The reason is that this current categorization system is very broken, and I don't think patching it is a long term solution in any sense. This is why I'm going to completely overhaul the categorization system with the IMSLP/IMDBP redesign.

If the scan in question is an individual file (i.e. the page is categorized under a normal music category), you can manually add [[Category:Libretti]] to the Misc.Comments section of the file if you want. Otherwise, you can add it to the Misc.Comments section of the IMSLP page (the first create-work form), but do not change the |Genre= or |Meta Genre= entries in the work page template itself on IMDBP, which would semi-break the system.
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

While we're on the subject of books, can we also have a "Books" section in the wish list?

A few that I would love to see are...

J.J Quantz - On Playing the Flute (originally published 1752)

Theobald Boehm - The Flute and Flute-Playing in Acoustical, Technical, and Artistic Aspects (1871)

C.P.E. Bach - Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments (1753-1762)

Jacques Hotteterre - Principles of the Flute, Recorder and Oboe (ca.1700)

Leopold Mozart - A Treatise on the Fundamental Principles of Violin Playing (1756)

And all those clever people who know how to remove watermarks etc. from other people's scans, can put their skills to use on the following titles at the Internet Archive:

Gustav Nottebohm - Thematic Catalog of Schubert's works (Thematisches Verzeichniss der im Druck erschienenen Werke), 1874

Alfred Wotquenne (1867-1939) - Thematisches Verzeichnis der Werke von Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, 1905

If you go to http://www.archive.org/index.php and try searching, I'm sure there are many more treasures waiting to be unearthed.

Aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
Generoso
active poster

Post by Generoso »

I saw that at the Internet Cello Society someone was looking for the

"A BOOK FOR THE PRINCIPAL CELLIST" by Cedric Sharpe?

It was published in England in 1954 by Novello &Co. Ltd. It was sold in the US by Mills Music, Inc.

Would this be something we could put up here... that is if anyone actually found a copy of it?
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I was going to upload the book "Rimsky-Korsakov" by M. Montagu-Nathan (which is at Internet Archive and Harvard), but was put off by the copyright matters (it's from 1917, but he died in 1958, so there were all these warnings coming up about non-PD in lots of places when I created his "composer" page.)

If it's best not to upload this work, please delete the "composer" page that I created for "Montagu-Nathan, Montagu".

Otherwise, please advise.

This brings up the topic, though, of how to treat authors of music books who weren't composers (or, if they might have been sometime composers, it's unlikely that their pieces would be known to any reaonsable extent). Can we have a "create a page" feature somewhere that is geared strictly to authors?