Igor Stravinsky

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

ThaSchwab
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Igor Stravinsky

Post by ThaSchwab »

Can you guys at least make a profile for him and upload his pieces that are in the public domain?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by daphnis »

Unfortunately, NONE of Stravinsky's works can exist at IMSLP because he, regardless of when certain pieces were published, is still under copyright in Canada and the rest of the world, aside from those pieces first published before 1923 which are public domain only in the United States.

HOWEVER, I will be making an announcement sooner (hopefully) rather than later with details on a project I'm undertaking to make all new clear, high-quality scans of ALL his public domain works including, but no limited to the following:

Firebird (full & piano scores)
Petrushka (full & piano scores)
Rite of Spring (full & piano 4 hands scores)
Pulcinella (vocal score)
Histoire du Soldat (suite for clarinet, violin and piano)
Ragtime
Les Noces
Renard
Fireworks
Song of the Nightingale

and many others...

These will all be hosted on another site (in the US) because of legal reasons mentioned above, but which will be linked to on a Stravinsky composer page created here.

We fully realize there is a great demand for this composer's pieces on the site, a demand to which I am personally responding, but which will take time and patience from all. As soon as all is settled and arranged, I'll announce it here.

Regards,

Daphnis
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Didn't you do the same thing before the IMSLP closed down? I remember using the score to the Rite of Spring and it was on another website but linked from here.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It was on a Russian website (and still is). They were not scans by IMSLP members.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Yagan is correct. These will be the first contributions to Stravinsky I've made, and probably the last until he lapses into the public domain in Canada.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

is still under copyright in Canada and the rest of the world
What about the few countries left with 30+ copyright. And does Afghanistan have copyright?
aldona
active poster

Post by aldona »

I've heard that there is no such thing as copyright recognised under Afghanistan's law.

The idea has been raised before of finding someone in Afghanistan to host an IMSLP server there. :evil:

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
drivemeape

russian site

Post by drivemeape »

do you know the URL to the Russian site where you downloaded the Rite of spring?
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

No. I wish I did, so I could see the other pieces on there. It wasn't in Russian, either, it was English.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

It was in Russian and English and contain Copyrighted Material (Shostakovitch, MP3s). Ergo, I will not be posting it or allow it's posting on these boards. You can find it on your own.
drivemeape

Post by drivemeape »

sorry
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Feel free to find in google. If you are in the us it is legal.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

Google doesn't really help if you don't know what the name of the site is. Could you possibly PM me the name and I can Google search it for the link?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Project Stravinsky looking for a new home

Post by daphnis »

By the way, because recent developments may have made the posting of "Project Stravinsky" either difficult or impossible, I am seeking assistance from any readers of this forum that might be willing and capable of hosting these public domain works. Such a site must be prepared for the extra bandwidth and also be hosted in the US. For more details and to offer any assistance, please contact me via private message. Thanks.
ThaSchwab
active poster

Post by ThaSchwab »

I would love to do that; unfortunately, I have not a site big enough to host a multitude of Stravinsky works, nor a site in general.