Composer page layout

Moderator: kcleung

Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Composer page layout

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Here is a proposal for a new layout for the IMSLP composer pages. I'm not very happy with it, but at least I think it looks a bit more organized than the current one. Your opinions and suggestions, please...

(As usual, not tested with MSIE...)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Nice! You may not be very happy with it, but I'm rather happy with it ;) Only one suggestion though: would it be possible to integrate the "Contents" box into the main portion? At the moment it looks a little out of place. Though having said that I cannot myself think of any way of making it work, so maybe it is fine as it is.

In any case, I'll put this new template in the code so that it'll show right after the upgrade :) A redesign of the composer template is something I've been wanting to see for a long time... feel free to redesign other templates (and special pages, which are rather bland right now) of IMSLP when you have the time :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

By the way Leonard, could you design a "photo not available" thumbnail that can be used when there are no pictures of the composer? :)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

I've posted an "all inside the box" variation. Keep the suggestions coming, maybe in the end we'll come up with something good :)

By the way, before implementing it I think it would be better to move the CSS to MediaWiki:Common.css. I can take care of that once we have decided on a final layout.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Second variation; it is ugly, but sometimes a bad idea can be the source of inspiration for a good idea, so I'm posting it anyway :)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Hehe... your really doing some nice work there ;) I've already put v1 into the code, but can easily be changed to make v2.

Overall I like v2 more, because most of the times there are no "See Also" pages, so the picture ends up being longer than the text. However, I do like the cute symbols besides the add work/return page links... is there a way to move that into v2 also? :) Maybe you can just get rid of the bullets for the first chunk of the thing (i.e. contents, and the two links).
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Now I'm getting confused with my own nomenclature :) with "v1", you mean the "theme" (the first proposal), and with "v2" the (first) "variation" (the second proposal)? The "variation 2" (third proposal) being really ugly...

I can certainly put the symbols back, though I can't think of a good one for "content" right now (so that all 3 lines get a symbol).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ah.. I meant the second one (everything in a box) by v2, not the second variation ;) The third one (second variation) is IMO as of yet not as good as the second (first variation), just because it feels a little bit less united.

Don't get me wrong... all three of them are great; I'm just nitpicking here ;)

P.S. What about an arrow to the right (->) for "Contents"? May not be a perfect fit, but that's the best I can think of right now...
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Looks really good!

Maybe, some red to coincide with the main page?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I'll leave it up to you guys to discuss colour (since I'm horrible at it), but I just wanted to report that v2 is now in the code, and working beautifully (after a few adjustments). Everything should be complete after the symbols get imported into the template :)

Also a good thing that the upgrade HEAD code finally reached a usable level (things were breaking all over the place earlier today), so I suppose we can be on schedule with the upgrade :)
scottorr
forum adept

Post by scottorr »

Just thinking about colours, i'll try and explain this well enough for it to be understood.

What if you took the original (first one) and made the composer name box background the red from the main page.

And then, make the "external links" and "see also" have grey backgrounds, like the variation (ugly)?

Just a thought i had to combine the red in there somewhere.

EDIT: I've added it to the bottom of Leonard's test page as "Colour". Let me know what you think.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Very interesting idea, I like it. I've also posted a variation of your variation. Let me know what you think of it, and feel free to post further variants (everybody).
scottorr
forum adept

Post by scottorr »

Oh i really like that!

The only thing i tried out, but didn't actually make a full version out of it because it was so minor, was increasing the red border to 2px or 3px, and i really liked it. Try it and let me know.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

3px makes it a bit too heavy in my opinion, but 2px is nice, too. Both 1px and 2px are OK with me, whatever the community prefers :)

Oh, and Feldmahler, if we're going to use this variant: the code is NOT ready to use (as it stands, the image will run out of the box if the content is short). If we decide to use it, I'll fix it as soon as possible (I know you're impatient about these things ;)).
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

I also like the variation of the colour variation (the last one) ;) Do fix it, and if possible add the symbols :) I really want it to be there when the upgrade goes live on Saturday.